Cook's Hideout: Mamidikaya Pappu (Andhra Style Raw Mango Dal)

September 22, 2013

Mamidikaya Pappu (Andhra Style Raw Mango Dal)

Bonus Dish for Week 3:
Theme: A-Z  Vegetarian Dishes from Andhra Pradesh
Dish: M for Mamikidikaya Pappu (Raw Mango Dal)
This pappu for my first pick for the Letter 'M', but it fell off the regular A-Z Vegetarian dishes from A.P. truck because of various reasons. One reason was that I made 'Nuvvulu-Mamidikaya pachadi' for N and I didn't want the same ingredient (mango) to be used in the dishes that I was posting on consecutive days. So for M I posted Menthikura pappu.
Mamidikaya Pappu (Andhra Style Raw Mango Dal)
Mamidikaya pappu screams summer for me, even though we get good quality raw mangoes in the Indian store almost all year long. It is one of the dishes that is made on special occasions, festivals, when guests are visiting etc. If your mango is not sour enough, then feel free to add some tamarind paste.

Mamidikaya Pappu (Andhra Style Raw Mango Dal)
This recipe is from "Cooking with Pedatha" cookbook. I loved the addition of jaggery at the very end, gives a ymmy twist to regular dal.  
Mamidikaya Pappu (Andhra Style Raw Mango Dal)
Ingredients:
Raw Mango - 1 small, peeled, seeded and diced
Toor Dal - ½cup
Green chilies - 2
Curry leaves - 8-10
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Fenugreeks seeds (Menthulu/ methi seeds) - ½tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) - ¼tsp
Turmeric - ½tsp
Dry red chili - 1
Jaggery - 1tsp (optional)
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Pressure cook dal with turmeric powder to a soft consistency. 
  • In a saucepan, heat 1tbsp oil for tempering. Add the mustard seeds and once they start popping, add fenugreek seeds. Lower the flame and when the fenugreek start browning, add the red chilies. As they turn bright red, stir in the curry leaves and asafoetida.
  • Next add the mango pieces; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. 
  • Add 1 cup of water, salt and cooked dal and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add jaggery in the end.
Serve over steamed rice with some fried sundried crisps or vadiyalu for a filling meal.
Mamidikaya Pappu (Andhra Style Raw Mango Dal)
Signature

7 comments:

  1. The Mamidikaya Pappu is very tasty here. Love the clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried this once but long back. u have made it very well..

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so yum! very creamy.. I love the smell of mango in any dish.. I do with sambar powder.. must try this

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time here, I saw your post on one of the FB pages and followed. Very nice blog. Mamidikaya pappu is a family favorite, hint of jiggery sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love mamidikaya pappu with rice and ghee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My girls love this but they do not want the raw mango cooked. So this has to be made on a sunday. Will try this version.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips