Cook's Hideout: Gongura Pulihora (Tangy & Spicy Sorrel Leaf Rice)

September 09, 2013

Gongura Pulihora (Tangy & Spicy Sorrel Leaf Rice)

Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter G
Theme: A-Z Vegetarian Dishes from Andhra Pradesh
Dish: G for Gongura Pulihora/ Tangy & Spicy Sorrel Leaf Rice
Letter G stands for veggies like Goruchikkudukaya (cluster beans) and the very famous Andhra Gongura. G also stands for ingredients like Godhuma Pindi/ Rava (wheat rava/ flour) and for dishes like Gavvalu, Gaarelu etc.
Gongura Pulihora (Tangy & Spicy Sorrel Leaf Rice)
But today it is gongura which is going to be the main ingredient and instead of making a pickle, I'm going to make a rice dish. The trend I heard in A.P is now to make pulaos & biryanis with gongura. Every ingredient everywhere is getting a global makeover and so our humble gongura is also following suite :-)
Gongura Pulihora (Tangy & Spicy Sorrel Leaf Rice)
Since the theme here is A-Z dishes from A.P., I didn't overly complicate the dish. I made it like a pulihora and used gongura to add the tanginess. I have to say I liked this rice better than mixing the pickle with rice. I think all the ingredients compliment each other very well and make this a very tasty one-pot dish. Gongura Pulihora (Tangy & Spicy Sorrel Leaf Rice)
Ingredients:
Rice - 1cup (I use sonamasoori rice)
Peanuts - 2tbsp
Chana dal - 1tbsp+3tbsp
Urad dal - 2tsp
Mustard seeds - 2tsp
Dry red chilies - 1
Green chilies - 2, slit
Asafoetida - ½tsp
Turmeric - ½tsp
Curry leaves - 10-12
Salt - to taste

For the Paste:
Gongura leaves (Sorrel leaves) - 2 cups, chopped
Tamarind pulp - 2tbsp
Dry red chilies - 2
Method:
  • Soak 3tbsp chana dal in warm water for at least 1 hour. Then either pressure cook them or boil them in a saucepan until tender, but not mushy. Set aside.
  • Cook rice such that the grains are separate. Set aside to cool on a wide plate.
  • Make the Paste: Grind the ingredients under 'the paste' into a smooth paste. 
  • To make Pulihora: Heat 2tbsp oil in a small saute pan, add dals and peanuts. Fry until dals turn lightly brown. Add mustard seeds and once the seeds start to splutter, add dry red chilies, green chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida. 
  • Pour the tempering over the cooled rice.
  • In the same saute pan, heat 2tsp oil and add the ground gongura paste and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture doesn't smell raw anymore. Add this to the rice mixture along with turmeric and salt. Mix gently. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I like my pulihora with a dollop of yogurt.. feels like home and tastes like heaven!!
Gongura Pulihora (Tangy & Spicy Sorrel Leaf Rice)
Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32.
Previously on A-Z Vegetarian Dishes of Andhra Pradesh:
A for Aava Pettina Aratikaya Kura
B for Bagara Baingan
C for Chimmiri
D for Dosakaya Pachadi
E for Erra Gummadikaya Pulusu
F for Firni
Signature

20 comments:

  1. Gongura pulihora is quite innovative. It looks like tamarind pulihora and am sure tasted as good as tamarind pulihora.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow wow very very flavorfula and delicious looking pulihora :)looks super yumm and making me hungry dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So tempting Pulihora ! Loved your clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tangy pulihora, is always my favourite, if gongura is there,who will say no to this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I just had my lunch and ur making me feel more hungry I want this so baldy so good love the shot dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mind-blowingly delicious!!! so flavorful and very very tasty!!!

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used gongura once or twice in my cooking but didn't get a perfect recipe. This looks like a flavourful and tangy rice. Will try it when I get gongura next time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gongura vesthe ne taste maripothundhi kada! Love gongura in any form!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome choice..even athamma makes pulihora with this, once she even made a pulao types..it came out very well...Coming to the series, I love the fact that you list out other ingredients as well..so much efforts along with such pretty pictures...Kudos Pavani!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks so good. I definitely want to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dont get Gongura here at all -- my friend from Hyd sent this thokku to me in March, and we gulped them like crazy :-)) I too made a pulihora with that thokku.. mouthwatering indeed !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't get gongura here and nver used it. I got a pack of gongura pickle but never really liked it. Your pics are so tempting me to grab the bowl right away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.. look so perfect and delicious.. love the serve-ware.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect pulihora.. You made it perfectly..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely gongura Puliyohara! I love gongura pickle as well...I should pick up a bunch of this during my indian store trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too have seen this on plenty of TV shows and always wondered how it tastes. I haven't given it a try though since the variety of gongura I get here is pretty much useless. It doesn't have a teeny tiny bit of flavor that gongura normally has.
    Your dish looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is new to me and I am tempted to try this:-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely clicks and presentation Pavani. I love your accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We get gongura only once in a while, I have made the pachadi once and am a big fan! Nice one pot meal...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this rice. Its been ages since i have had this rice Droooooooooooooool!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips