Cook's Hideout: Quick Tawa Rice

October 12, 2013

Quick Tawa Rice

Blogging Marathon# 33: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Favorite Celebrity Chef Recipes
Dish: Tarla Dalal's Quick Tawa Rice
One of my favorite Indian Chef is Tarla Dalal. I still remember watching her show on Sony TV from 12~15 years back and noting down the recipes. I used to bug my mom to buy the ingredients from super market to try the recipes. I love the way she makes all the dishes so simple and easy to make.
So for Day 3 of BM# 33, I made this quick Tawa rice by Tarla Dalal. I used to print out recipes from Tarla some 6~8 years back. I neatly them put in a binder and kept it safely in the basement. While looking for recipes for this week, I looked through the binder, but couldn't find anything to make with the ingredients I had on hand. A quick Google search landed me on this recipe and Tarla Dalal's Youtube video. I made it right away for lunch and really liked it. This dish is going to be on our meal rotation going forward.
Quick Tawa Rice
The dry red chili - garlic paste gives this dish so much flavor and it smells heavenly while cooking and even after cooking. My addition to this dish is a spoonful of pav bhaji masala, other than that I kept it close to the original.
Quick Tawa Rice
Basmati Rice - 2cups, cooked
Onion - 1 medium, thinly sliced
Green Peppers - 2 medium, thinly sliced
Tomato - 3 medium, chopped
Dry Red Chilies - 4
Garlic - 4cloves
Turmeric - ½tsp
Red Chili powder - ½tsp (optional, for extra spiciness)
Pav bhaji Masala - ½tsp (optional, for some kick)
Salt - to taste

  • Make sure that the rice is not mushy and the grains are separate.
  • In a mortar and pestle, crush the dry red chilies and garlic cloves into a coarse paste. Add few tbsp water to help along.
  • Heat 2tbsp oil on a tawa or saute pan; add onions and cook until onions turn translucent, about 4~5 minutes. Add the red chili-garlic paste and cook for 2 minutes.
  • Next add chopped peppers and cook until they are crisp tender. Add tomatoes and cook until tender. 
  • Add turmeric, red chili powder (if using), pav bhaji masala and salt. Add the rice and mix well. Cook for 2~3minutes. Serve hot.
Quick Tawa Rice
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today for BM# 33.


  1. highly tempting tawa rice :) looks so delicious and makes me hungry !! very very nice clicks :)

  2. Wow, Tawa rice looks fabulous with all those veggies and spices...

  3. Thats really a quick and fantastic tawa rice..Makes me hungry..

  4. what a perfectly simple dish...ready to accompany anything!

  5. Wow. very well prepared and presented.
    Thanks for sharing.

  6. I too am a big fan of Tarla Dalal and have most of her books..somehow I still like to read from books rather than online. ..this is one hit recipe which is liked by all. Well presented.

  7. I LOVE rice dishes! This looks so good, I think I would eat it for every meal!

  8. I think it is something my husband will love to have!

  9. Love the last clicks and this is a fav at home too...

  10. Very tempting Rice there!!! I m too a big fan of tarla dalal, i have some books of her!!! This Pulao is nice way to use up the leftover Rice!!!

  11. Love this quick tawa rice. Looks beautiful.I am a fan of Tarla Dalal recipes too. Noting this recipe down.

  12. The final picture looks stunning pavani..very nice dish and yes Tarla Dalal's dishes are so simple and versatile..

  13. I like Tarla Dalal recipes as well and this is such a quick recipe to make on a busy weeknight. Well presented as always, Pavani!

  14. We had a potluck dinner at home today .Tawa masala rice was among other items on the dinner spread and a clear winner of everyone's heart.Thanks for the great post
    about a minute ago · Like

  15. We had a potluck dinner at home today .Tawa masala rice was among other items on the dinner spread and a clear winner of everyone's heart.Thanks for the great post
    about a minute ago · Like


Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips