Cook's Hideout: Mango Chutney

October 10, 2013

Mango Chutney

Blogging Marathon# 33: Week 2/ Day 1
Theme: Favorite Celebrity Chef Recipes
Dish: Mango Chutney
We are starting 2nd week of blogging marathon# 33 today and my theme for this week is 'Favorite Celebrity Chef Recipes'. For the first day, I have Alton Brown's Mango chutney that I actually made couple of months ago in the middle of summer. Saved it in the drafts and totally forgot about it.
Alton Brown is one of my favorite chef / cook on Food Network. I love to watch Good Eats show where he explains the science of cooking in a way that is easily understandable to everyone. He's very knowledgeable and very funny.
My husband and I love mangoes (husband LOVES them way more than me) and we make sure to buy ripe mangoes when in season. We bought a pack of 6 from Costco and the first one we tasted was so sour that both was us were very disappointed. Since it was almost impossible to eat them raw I wanted to turn them into a yummy chutney. I had bookmarked this recipe from Alton Brown quite sometime back and after a quick trip to the grocery store made this spicy-sweet mango chutney.
Mango Chutney
I bought mango chutney for this recipe and a small jar costs a fortune. I've used that chutney in salads, sandwiches, also great with naans and even quesadillas. So instead of buying a small jar, I now have 2 jars full of my home made mango chutney.
Unlike Indian style mango chutney, which are usually very spicy with the addition of red chili powder, this one is slightly sweet with the addition of brown sugar and pineapple juice. Adding ginger and red chili flakes gives the spicy kick, but not overly so. 
Mango Chutney
Ingredients:
Ripe, but still firm Mangoes - 4, peeled and chopped (2 lb.)
Red Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Red Pepper - 1 small, diced
Ginger - 2" piece, finely grated
Red chili flakes - 1tsp (or as per taste)
Unsweetened Pineapple juice - 4oz. (½ cup)
Apple Cider Vinegar - 2oz. (2tbsp)
Brown Sugar - ¼cup
Curry Powder - 1tbsp (I used mild Madras Curry powder)
Raisins - ¼cup
Salt & Pepper - to taste
Mango Chutney
Method:
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in a medium sauce pan; add red chili flakes and cook for 15-20 seconds, make sure not to burn them. Next add onions and saute them until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
  • Add peppers and ginger, cook for 2-3 minutes. Next add chopped mangoes and cook for 1 minute.
  • In a measuring cup, combine pineapple juice, vinegar, sugar and curry powder. Whisk well to combine.
  • Stir this into the saucepan, mix well and bring the mixture to a bare simmer. Reduce the flame and cook for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
  • Add the raisins and cook for 2 more minutes. 
  • Turn off the heat and let the chutney cool completely before transferring into clean jars for storing. Keep in the fridge for longer shelf life.
Mango Chutney
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today for BM# 33.
Signature

16 comments:

  1. Mango chutney looks so delicious , want to try it now !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mango chutney looks very inviting. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finger licking chutney,looks delicious..Bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow mouthwatering mango chutney looks super yummy and delicious :) loving your clicks dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my mouth';s watering...lovely recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pavani, that picture really makes it so tempting!..such a beautiful picture..:)..I have heard about the chef, nice reading abt him..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, ur picture is just torturing me..Who can resist to this mango chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so tasty Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cant resist myself in preparing this tongue tickling chutney after seeing your pictures.. Delicious!!! in one word..

    ReplyDelete
  10. slurp slurp.. No other words. slurp
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this American style mango chutney - I learned to make this in school and have been making it since off and on (although sometimes I do take a short cut and still buy it). I love using it as sandwich spread with pan fried paneer it is delicious

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bookmarked. .sounds really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds so different and yum.Beautiful clicks as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look that luscious, saucy, creamy chutney, i don't think, i will have anything store in the jars, if i m going to make them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a,lovely Indo American recipe! I love Alton Brown for his detailed shows.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mango, ginger, red chillies, pineapple juice.. such wonderful flavours, makes me tingle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips