Cook's Hideout: Raj Kachori ~ Rajasthani Chaat Recipe

October 15, 2013

Raj Kachori ~ Rajasthani Chaat Recipe

For this month's Indian Cooking Challenge, Valli & Vaishali wanted us to make Raj Kachori, a Rajathani chaat item. When Valli announced the challenge, I read the recipe and thought it was really elaborate with quite a few components to be prepared and then completely forgot about it. Then suddenly this past weekend I realized it was almost time to post for ICC and I didn't make the dish. I knew I had no sooji in the pantry and gave up on the challenge. But when I checked again I found a small container of sooji (!!), I'm not even sure where that came from. Anyway that meant I was going to make this delicious chaat for this month's challenge.
Raj Kachori ~ Rajasthani Chaat Recipe
It is definitely an elaborate dish and cannot be made in a rush. So make sure that you read the recipe completely and plan to make the components ahead of time or plan to give yourself enough time to complete them.
I am lucky that my mom is visiting us and she actually made the kachoris and boiled the dals while I was away running errands. We actually had these for dinner and they were quite filling. I took some help and used store bought papdis and sev. Also I didn't make dahi wada, instead just used plain yogurt/ dahi as a topping.
Raj Kachori ~ Rajasthani Chaat Recipe
I've never had this chaat before, infact I've never even heard of it. So I checked Nisha Madulika's Youtube video to see how to make and serve this chaat. All in all this is a delicious and lip smacking snack. A true treat for all Chaat lovers.
Ingredients:
For the Kachori:
All purpose flour - 1cup
Sooji/ Semolina - ¼cup
Baking soda - 2 pinches
Salt - ½tsp

Method:
  • Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add enough water and knead into a semi soft dough. Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 30minutes.
  • Divide the dough into 14 equal parts. Roll each piece into a 3" round disc.
  • Heat oil for deep frying. Carefully slide the disc into the oil and press gently with a slotted spoon to puff up the puri. Flip and cook on the other side. Lower the heat and cook until both the sides are golden brown. 
  • Remove onto a paper towel and let cool. Repeat with the rest of the dough. 
  • Kachoris can be made at least 1 week in advance. Make sure to store them in an air-tight container.
Raj Kachori ~ Rajasthani Chaat Recipe
Ingredients tmake Raj Kachori:
Fillings:
Boiled green moong
Boiled chickpeas (black or white)
Boiled Potato(es) - diced
Papdi - homemade or store bought
Dahi wada (I didn't add this)

Sauces:
Green chutney - Blend cilantro, green chilies, ginger, lemon juice, sugar & salt. Recipe in detail here from Manjula's Kitchen
Tamarind chutney - Recipe from Manjula's Kitchen here. I cheated and used store bought Tamarina sauce.
Yogurt - whisked

Dry Spices:
Salt
Chaat Masala
Black Salt
Red chili powder

Garnish:
Sev - homemade or store bought
Cilantro Leaves - finely chopped
Onion - finely chopped

To Make Raj Kachori: Poke a hole in the middle of the puffed up kachori and load it up with the fillings of choice. Then drizzle the sauces of choice, followed by dry spices and garnishes.
What I learnt is that there is no hard and fast rule on how to serve these kachoris. Toppings, garnishes are totally personal preference.
Raj Kachori ~ Rajasthani Chaat Recipe
Signature

7 comments:

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips