Cook's Hideout: Adzuki Beans & Brown Rice Burger with Sweet Potato Fries

October 05, 2013

Adzuki Beans & Brown Rice Burger with Sweet Potato Fries

Blogging Marathon# 33: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: Combo Dishes - Tikkis/ Burgers
Dish: Adzuki Beans & Brown Rice Burger with Sweet Potato Fries
It has been unseasonally warm for the past couple of days and we are totally enjoying this weather. I took my mom, my almost 3 year old niece and my 1 year old to New York city (NYC) yesterday. We live about 20 minutes away from the city, but never go there to actually see places. I usually go there on business, either for a meeting or a seminar, never as a tourist.
I always wanted to take the NYC bus tour and finally did it yesterday. Its fun to sit on the open top double decker and see the sights of the city. I enjoyed the tour, but I want to do it again without the kids, so I can enjoy the city even more :-)
Well we came back home ravished and good thing that I had these adzuki bean-brown rice burgers frozen and ready to cook. All we had to was to bake some Sweet Potato fries and chop up some veggies for topping and in less than 30minutes we had a filling and delicious lunch.
Adzuki Beans & Brown Rice Burger with Sweet Potato Fries
Whole Foods sells Adzuki bean-brown rice burger. I never bought them but wanted to try that combo for a long time. Adzuki beans need only 2~3hours to soak and cook pretty quickly. In addition to the beans and rice, I added some bread crumbs, flour and a flax egg for binding. I flavored the burgers with Indian spices like kasoori methi and kitchen king masala. My focus group (my mom, sister and husband) liked them.
Adzuki Beans & Brown Rice Burger with Sweet Potato Fries
These burgers are quite sturdy and didn't fall apart when cooking like other vegan/ veggie burgers. I'm not sure if they can stand up to grilling, but I think they might(will update when I try grilling them). They also freeze very well, so make a big batch and freeze the uncooked burgers to eat later.
Adzuki Beans & Brown Rice Burgers
Ingredients: (Makes about 8 - 10 ¼cup burgers)
Adzuki Beans/ Red Chori - 1cup
Brown Rice - 1cup (I used brown basmati)
Onion - 1small, chopped
Pepper - 1 small, chopped
Garlic - 1clove, minced
Red chili flakes - ½tsp
Red chili powder - 1tsp (or to taste)
Kitchen King Masala - 1tsp (Can be substituted with Garam Masala or Curry powder)
Kasoori Methi - 2tsp, crumbled
Bread Crumbs - 1~1½cups (I used wholewheat bread crumbs)
Flax Egg - 1 (1 tbsp flaxseed meal whisked in 3tbsp water or use 1 egg)
Flour - 2~3tbsp
Salt - to taste
Frozen Burgers
Method:
  • Wash, rinse and soak adzuki beans for at least 4~6hours. Cook the beans and rice separately until tender. I pressure cooked them separately, beans for 5 whistles and rice for 3 whistles.
  • Drain the excess water and let them cool for a little bit.
  • In the meantime, heat 2tsp oil in a saute pan and cook until translucent about 3~4minutes. Next add garlic clove and cook for 1 minute. Next add the chopped peppers and cook until tender, about 6~8 minutes. Season with salt, chili powder, kitchen king masala & kasoori methi. Mix well and turn off the heat. Let the mixture cool slightly.
  • Combine the beans, rice and the onion mixture in the food processor. Process until the mixture comes together.
  • Remove it into a bowl and add bread crumbs, flax egg, flour and form a smooth dough that doesn't stick to hands.
  • Take ¼cup of mixture and form into patties. Place some breadcrumbs in a plate and roll the patties in the breadcrumbs on both sides. At this point, burgers can be made right away or can be frozen for later.
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a saute/ grill pan. Cook the burgers on medium-low flame until golden on both sides and cooked through, about 3 minutes on both sides.
  • Serve on sandwich buns with the choice of toppings.
Adzuki Beans & Brown Rice Burger with Sweet Potato Fries
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today for BM# 33.
Signature

14 comments:

  1. wow very very healthy patties and looks super yummy dear :) make me drool here !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nutritious and fantastic burger..With those sweet potato fries, burger makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The burger looks so awesome and tempting. I want to reach out to it through the screen and finish it off.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very filling ..The pictures are inviting specially the melting cheese ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a filling and inviting meal. That's great you enjoyed your trip to NYC..

    ReplyDelete
  6. My fav combo burger and fries... always order this combo whenever visit at Mcd

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow awesome and sounds very interesting dear

    ReplyDelete
  8. that burger looks so good with the melted cheese and I love sweet potato fries - a perfect combo meal

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very good burger patty recipe. Bookmarking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunner burger Pavani..love the combination...good that you guys had a good time..I enjoyed the pics on fb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I have a question from your post - you mention adding a "flax egg" but I don't see a mention of egg or flax in the recipe. Can you clarify? I've been tweaking my bean and bean/brown rice burgers, so I'm looking forward to trying your recipe! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candace, Thank you for that. I completely overlooked the flax egg portion in the recipe. I've updated the recipe with the info. Hope that helps.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips