Cook's Hideout: Alasanda Vada (Black eyed Peas croquettes)

May 24, 2016

Alasanda Vada (Black eyed Peas croquettes)

Blogging Marathon#64: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Mega BM Bookmarked Recipes 
Dish: Alasanda Vada from Suma 
Can't believe we are starting the last week of this month's blogging marathon today. May seemed to have zoomed right past us. My theme for this week is 'Bookmarked dishes from last month's mega marathon'. It is an impossible task to pick just 3 dishes to make from more than 600 delicious dishes (24 bloggers * 26 days), but we have to start somewhere, right??
Black eyed Peas croquettes
So for the first day, I made these Alasanda vada aka blackeyed peas vada from Suma. I actually made it right after she posted it on her blog. I had some oil leftover from frying these nimki and so I decided to use it wisely and make these yummy vada.
Alasanda Vada
I've heard a lot about these black eyed peas vada but never tasted them before. The texture is very similar to chana dal vada but they taste a little different. They held up their shape beautifully while frying and came out crispy on the outside and fluffy inside. Thanks to Suma, now I've added a new vada to my repertoire.

Recipe from Suma's Veggie Platter:

Alasanda Vada
Ingredients:
  • 1cup Black eyed Peas/ Alasandalu
  • 2~3 Green Chilies, chopped
  • 1" Ginger piece, chopped
  • 2 Garlic cloves, minced
  • ¼cup Cilantro, chopped
  • 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
  • To taste Salt
Method:
  1. Soak black eyed peas for 4~6 hours or overnight.
  2. Drain the water thoroughly making sure that there's no excess water left in the beans, otherwise the batter might get too watery.
  3. Grind black eyed peas along with green chilies, ginger, garlic, cilantro and salt into a coarse paste without adding any water. The mixture should hold its shape when squeezed.
  4. Heat oil for deep frying.
  5. Take a small lime size portion of the batter, lightly pat it down into a disc and gently place it in the hot oil. Depending on the size of your pan, fry about 4~6 vadas at a time. Make sure not to crowd the pan.
  6. Fry on medium flame until vadas are golden brown on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate and repeat with the remaining batter. Serve hot as is or with a chutney.
Black eyed Peas croquettes

 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 64.
Signature

13 comments:

  1. Those vadas are looking so yummy Pavani, I am surprised that you haven't tasted these till now..but then remembered that these are popular in the Rayalaseema region..good that you finally made these..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these vada and yours have come out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alasanda Vada looks delicious... Must have tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love these vadas. When I saw these at suma's space, felt very nostalgic and wanted to make them asap. But yet another reminder later I am still not there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the matka you've used in the pic. It is such a lovely prop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes , definitely a tough job Pavani..these vadas look mouthwatering..must try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Black eyed peas in vada sounds so different from the norm. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even I haven't tried this and when I saw Suma's post, I bookmarked it. Looking at your vadas, I am tempted to try..

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just love these vada's, nice and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very crispy and dangerously addictive vadas, oh god, i want to munch some rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look crunchy and delicious....all we need is a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. super Vadas. love it. Nice presentation..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I fell in love with these vadas the first time I made them. So addictive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips