Cook's Hideout: Vegan Rich Chocolate Mousse

May 20, 2016

Vegan Rich Chocolate Mousse

Today I have a rich chocolate mousse recipe that is guilt free and sooo delicious. The secret ingredient in this mousse is soft silken tofu. I was initially skeptical about using tofu in a dessert because I've had some really bad experiences with tofu based desserts years ago and I have not gone back to it till now.
Chocolate Mousse using Silken Tofu
I saw this recipe in Vegetarian Times magazine and wanted to give it a second chance. I was pleasantly surprised how chocolaty and creamy this mousse turned out and there was no tell-tale sign of tofu. I made this last weekend to eat as a movie night treat and both my kids absolutely loved it.
Chocolate Mousse using Silken Tofu
Talking about movies, my son is a big fan of Angry Birds and he's very excited about the new Angry birds movie that is releasing today. He wants to watch at the theater, but I prefer to watch movies at home sitting cozily on the couch and eating some homemade movie night snacks.
Chocolate Mousse using Silken Tofu
I prefer sweet snacks over savory for movie nights. Don't ask me why?? But the family loves both -- sweet and savory. My personal favorites are caramel popcorn and ice cream. Family also loves these SkinnyPop Popcorn and the great thing about them is you could pick either sweet (some dusted chocolate??) or savory (jalapeno, yumm!!) and they are guilt free because they are made with few, clean and simple ingredients.
Chocolate Mousse using Silken Tofu
If you prefer homemade chocolate treat, then try this yummy mousse. It takes about 10 minutes to make this, so it's a great make-ahead dessert. I topped them with chopped strawberries and almonds.


Vegan Rich Chocolate Mousse
Ingredients:
  • 4oz. Bittersweet or Dark Chocolate, broken into pieces (I used 60%cocoa bittersweet chocolate)
  • 2tbsp Vegetable Oil
  • 12oz. Soft Silken Tofu (about 2/3rd of 1lb. container), drained
  • ¼cup Dark Brown Sugar
  • 1tbsp Raw Cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
  • 1tsp Vanilla extract
  • Pinch Salt
Method:
  1. Place chocolate and oil in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 1½~2 minutes or until melted. Whisk till smooth and set aside to cool slightly.
  2. Place the tofu in a blender or food process and process till completely smooth and creamy.
  3. Add brown sugar, cacao powder, vanilla, salt and the melted chocolate and process till the mixture is thick and smooth, make sure to scrape the sides down.
  4. Transfer to a serving bowl or individual serving bowls and chill before serving.
Chocolate Mousse using Silken Tofu





Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook ChallengeMay -- Week 3'.
Signature

7 comments:

  1. This looks creamy and delicious:) love to try this soon for my kids movie time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh that surely looks so sinful Pavani...my boys have been making angry bird pictures not sure if they are aware of the movie..I like both these days, going to cinema or sitting at home as we do end up snacking.heheheh..I think I am partial to savory snacks..our latest addiction is french fries...:)..however if you are going to give me this I won't say no at all..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bookmarked dear.Will try it out and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very sinful and beautifully presented too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the opposite of you. I like to watch movies in theaters, but if I have someone making these delicious snacks at home, I don't mind watching the movies at home. Lovely mousse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks decadent! =) I love it! I have tons of tofu left over after I made some spring rolls, so now I am going to use it for dessert. Yay! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips