Cook's Hideout: Borscht -- Russian Beet & Vegetable Soup (Vegetarian Recipe)

September 20, 2014

Borscht -- Russian Beet & Vegetable Soup (Vegetarian Recipe)

When I think of Russian food, first thing that comes to mind is Borscht --  beet & vegetable soup. To be honest I'm not a bog beets fan, so this was soup was something that I was not too excited about and kept looking for other dishes. But finally I realized I had no time and then ended up making the soup anyway. I was surprised that I liked the soup, it is very hearty and technically I didn't taste the beets as much as I feared I would. The color sure makes the beet presence apparent and I really loved how photogenic this soup was.
Borscht -- Russian Beet & Vegetable Soup (Vegetarian Recipe)


Borscht -- Russian Beet & Vegetable Soup (Vegetarian Recipe)
Russian Borscht (Beet &Veggie Soup) -- Adapted from here.
Ingredients: Serves 2~3
Beet - 1 medium, peeled and grated
Carrot - 1 small, peeled and grated
Tomato - 1 small, chopped
Lemon juice - 1tbsp
Potato - 1 large, diced
Cabbage - 1 cup, thinly sliced
Onion - 1 small, thinly sliced
Bay leaf - 1
Dried Parsley - 1tsp
Salt & Pepper - to taste
Sour cream - to serve (optional)

Method:

  • Heat 2tsp oil in a medium sauce pan, add beets, carrots and tomato. Saute for 1~2 minutes.Add the lemon juice and cook on medium flame until the veggies are tender, about 12~15 minutes.
  • Add 3~4 cups of water (or vegetable stock for extra flavor) and salt; bring to a boil. 
  • Add the potato, cabbage, bay leaf, dried parsley and pepper. Cook covered until all the veggies are cooked through and tender, about 12~15 minutes.
  • Adjust the seasonings and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Borscht -- Russian Beet & Vegetable Soup (Vegetarian Recipe)
Check out the complete Russian Vegetarian Meal here.
Signature

8 comments:

  1. The soup looks great! And is so healthy too. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I like that bowl of soup with that beautiful color, next I am loving that twisty spoon...looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i heard many folks are wary of the beet color, but i really loved the color you have got and it is indeed photo friendly...all your dishes always are :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can happily finish my dinner with this bowl of catchy soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, the soup is photogenic! The pictures did turn out good. Love the color of the soup. This is on my to do list. I might make it this week. You picked a classic soup from Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you captured the dish so beautifully that I think even beet haters would be tempted but I love beets anyway so it wont take much for me to dig into this bowl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not want to try broscht as its beets and I will have to finish it. I will take your word and amke a small quantity. lets see..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this too.You have captured it beautifully Pavani...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips