Cook's Hideout: Five Grain Cereal with Dried Fruit

May 24, 2012

Five Grain Cereal with Dried Fruit

For Day 2 of BM# 16 I made this healthy and delicious 5-grain cereal with dried fruits. We just came back from our vacation to Disney World in Orlando, Florida and I can't seem to forget the oats that I ate for breakfast in the resort for almost everyday. It was just simple cooked oats and they would add your favorite toppings on it -- either fresh berries/ dried fruits/ nuts etc. It was very filling and would keep me going until afternoon.

So when we got back I wanted to make something similar but more hearty and healthy. I found the recipe for this 5-grain cereal in "Cooking Light - Way to Cook Vegetarian" cookbook. Recipe makes about 10-12 servings, I made me a whole batch and stored it in an air tight container in the fridge, this way I can make my bowl of cereal whenever I feel like it.


Ingredients:
Steel Cut Oats - 1¼cups
Cracked Wheat - ½cup
Regular Grits - ½cup
Oat bran - ½cup
Wheat bran - 1/3 cup
Flax seed - 1/3 cup
Salt - ¾tsp
Dried Fruits - total of 2 cups. Use whatever you like or have. I had a bag of tropical flavored dried fruits with dried papaya, pineapple, banana and coconut. I also added some golden raisins. Coarsely chop all the big pieces of fruit.
Sweetener of Choice - as per taste (optional)  (I use agave nectar or maple syrup to sweeten my cereal)

Method:
  • Combine all the ingredients and store in an air tight container in the fridge and use as needed.
  • To make the Cereal: For each serving, add ½ cup dry cereal mix to 1½ cups of water. Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Add cereal; cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Uncover and cook for 2 minutes or until thick, stir constantly. Stir in the sweetener (if using) and  serve immediately.
 
Let’s check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up for Day 2 of BM# 16.

Signature

13 comments:

  1. Love, love oatmeal-Having berries on top with a little cream is just heavenly.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture Pavani...you get us hungry with those pictures really!..

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! that looks delicious! it makes me want to indulge in a hot breakfast! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. multi-grain cereal looks awesome. Love to kick start the day with such an awesome breakfast. Nice one.Jayanthi(www.sizzlingveggies.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wat a healthy and super filling breakfast,well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a delicious n nutritious recipe...sounds yummy too...nice clicks!!
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
  7. healthy and wonderful breakfast! yummy one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great breakfast idea! I would love to have this kind of breakfast everyday!! I gotto get my hands on steel cut oats!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is a must try. I have bookmarked it already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's healthy and wholesome breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips