Cook's Hideout: Mixed Vegetable Upma

May 25, 2012

Mixed Vegetable Upma

For Day 3 of BM# 16 under "breakfast" theme, I made a super simple and comforting upma. Growing up, I was not a big upma fan. But now that I'm older and wiser, I realized how quick and easy making upma is and the dish can be dressed up or down as per the occasion.

As I was looking for breakfast recipes in Mallika Bhadrinath's "100 Tiffin Varieties", I found this vegetable upma variation. I thought the addition of tamarind with mixed vegetables was interesting and decided to give it a try. This upma is slightly spicy and tangy and a great variation to regular plain upma. Definitely worth a try!!

Ingredients:
Fine emolina (Sooji, Bombay Rawa) - 1 cup
Onion - 1 learge, thinly sliced
Green Chilies - 2, slit
Mixed Vegetables - 2 cups, chopped (I used potatoes, carrots and peas. Cabbage, capsicum and cauliflower would be good too)
Tomato - 1, chopped 
Tamarind pulp - 3tsp
Turmeric - ½ tsp
Salt - to taste

For tempering:
Chana dal - 1tsp
Urad dal - 1tsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chili - 1
Curry leaves - 6-8 (I didn't have any on hand)

 
Method:
  • Heat 2tsp oil and 1tsp ghee in a large pan, add the tempering ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter, add onions and green chilies; saute until onions turn translucent.
  • Next add the mixed vegetables and cook covered on medium-low flame until tender.
  • Add tomato and cook for a minute.
  • Next add turmeric and tamarind and cook until it does not smell raw anymore, about 3-5 minutes.
  • Add 3cups of water to the veggies; cover and bring to a boil. Slowly add the sooji/ bombay rawa in a steady stream while continuously stirring the water to avoid forming lumps. Cook on medium-low flame until all water is absorbed and semolina is cooked through, this will take about 5-6 minutes.
  • Leave covered for 5 minutes. Serve hot with as is or with pickle or chutney.
Let’s check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up for Day 3 of BM# 16.
Signature

10 comments:

  1. One of my fav breakfast,sounds healthy n yummy with mixed vegs...looks great!!
    I too never tried with tamarind pulp,will try it next time!
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried a sago upma and did not like the texture..maybe I'll try yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of Upma before but it looks and sounds delicious! I'll have to give it a try! thanks for opening my culinary "eyes!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks very gooey and different one to look, picture looks pretty. Did it taste different?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowwww... mouth watering pictures.. looks simply amazing :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  6. my dad likes his upma, like this goey and sticky and hubby likes it coarse and fluffy....i am okay either ways :) this looks nice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super inviting upma, adding tamarind pulp sounds very new for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Healthy and comforting breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pavani..one of my most favorite and quick ways of including veggies into the breakfast meal..loved your version :)

    I have never tried adding the tarmarind paste..interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips