Cook's Hideout: Aloo-Gobhi Paratha (Potato-Cauliflower Stuffed Indian Flatbread)

May 27, 2012

Aloo-Gobhi Paratha (Potato-Cauliflower Stuffed Indian Flatbread)

I can't help but smile when I try to translate Indian dish names into English. Take this post's title itself, even though the English name conveys what the post is about, it still seems funny to spell out the full dish name, it's almost like constantly calling someone with their first & last name. 

Today I have "Aloo-Gobhi Paratha" on the breakfast menu for day 5 of BM# 16. This is quite an elaborate dish for my breakfast standards, but this being the long weekend, I decided to treat the family with a hearty breakfast. After eating 2 of these delicious parathas, we were all ready for a shopping spree and fun in the sun.

Ingredients:
For the Dough:
Atta (whole wheat flour) - 3 cups
Salt - 1tsp
Vegan butter - 2tbsp, softened (optional)

For the Filling:
Potatoes - 2 medium, boiled and mashed
Cauliflower - 1 cup, finely grated (I used this beautiful broccoliflower, broccoli can be used instead)
Onion - 1 small, finely chopped
Ginger + Garlic paste - ½tsp
Red chili powder - 1tsp, or to taste
Cumin seeds (jeera) - 1tsp
Lemon juice - 1tbsp
Salt - to taste
 
Method:
  • Make the dough by mixing atta, salt, vegan butter (if using) in a large bowl. Add warm water and make a soft dough. I had to use about 1½-2cups of water for this amount of atta. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
  • In the meantime, make the filling: heat 2tsp oil in a saute pan; add cumin seeds and once the seeds start to splutter, add onions and cook until lightly browned.
  • Add ginger+garlic paste and red chili powder, cook for 1 minute.
  • Next add the grated cauliflower and salt. Sprinkle with some water; cover and cook until completely tender and cooked through.
  • Finally add the mashed potato, mix well and set aside to cool completely.
  • Once the filling is cool enough to handle, divide the mixture into 8-10 pieces and roll into balls.
  • Divide the dough into 8-10 pieces and roll into balls; roll one piece into a 4-5" circle, place the filling in the middle; cover with the dough from all sides and roll into a circle. Use dry flour as needed to roll.
  • Heat a tawa/ griddle on medium-high flame, place the paratha on the tawa and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked thoroughly on both sides. Spread some oil/ ghee if desired.
  • Serve hot with curry of choice or simply with yogurt & pickle, like I did.
 
Let’s check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up for Day 5 of BM# 16.

Signature

14 comments:

  1. Yet to have my breakfast....can I pick just one from these Pavani..they look fantastic!..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wholesome meal!..I love all fillings you can do with parathas...lovely pictures Pavani..

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh that looks so stinkin' good!! thanks for sharing! your pics are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. healthy and delicious!...good one to substitute aloo paratha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wat a super delicious stuffed parathas, wish to have some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel that way about transalting Indian names into English too. For eg, calling sambar a spicy lentil based gravy just doesn't convey the essence of what a sambar is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum yum ...nice combo and looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Paratha looks amazing! Using the tawa for presentation is awesome. Will have to copy your idea when I make Parathas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a pretty picture and looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice combo,paratha looks tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  11. parathas I would want right now...as I am deciding what to have for lunch

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely parathas..very filling.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips