Blogging Marathon# 58: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Bring on your Rice
Dish: Vegetable Makhani Rice
After yesterday's South Indian rice dish, I have this North Indian rice dish. Makhani gravy is a reddish tomato based gravy made with butter and cream (hence the name makhani), commonly used in North Indian dishes. It is very popular on restaurant menus and paneer makhani is quite famous.
Vegetable Makhani Rice
- 1cup Basmati Rice
- 1cup Mixed Vegetables (Carrot, Green beans, Corn, Green peas)
- 1cup Tomato puree (boil and grind 3~4 medium tomatoes to a paste)
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- 1~2tsp Kashmiri Chili powder
- ¼tsp Shahjeera
- 1tsp Garam Masala
- 2tsp Kasoori Methi, crushed
- 2tbsp Butter
- 2tbsp Heavy Cream
- To taste Salt
- Melt butter in a large saute pan, add shahjeera and once the seeds start to splutter, add green chilies, ginger+garlic paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mixed vegetables and saute for 4~5 minutes.
- Next add the tomato puree, Kashmiri chili powder, garam masala, kasoori methi and salt. Cover and cook for 5~6 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and cook till heated through, about 1 minute.
- Finally add the basmati rice and gently stir to combine. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Serve hot with raita and Enjoy!!