Cook's Hideout: Roasted Cauliflower Steaks (with Indian spices)

November 25, 2015

Roasted Cauliflower Steaks (with Indian spices)

Blogging Marathon# 58: Week 4/ Day 2
Theme: Bookmarked Dishes 
Dish: Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Indian Spices 
For the second day of bookmarked recipes, I have a very simple and tasty roasted cauliflower steak recipe. My husband recently had it at a restaurant and he really liked it, so I set about making it at home. I followed this recipe from The Kitchn.
Vegetarian Steaks
Before I get to the recipe, I have to show you the cauliflower I bought. It was one gigantic sized one, I've never seen this big cauliflower ever in my life. The Indian grocery store had a ton of these humongous ones for just $3.00 each. I immediately picked one up, not really thinking of what to make but this roasted cauliflower steak was the best use for half of it.

Huge Cauliflower

Care needs to be taken while cutting cauliflower into steaks because the florets tend to break apart. So make sure to keep the stem intact while removing the leaves and then cut it with the head facing down on the cutting board.
Cauliflower Steaks

Cauliflower Steaks
Spices used to flavor the cauliflower can be customized to ones likes and dislikes. Here I used Indian spices, but you can make it Mexican by adding some chipotle or ancho chili powder or make it Italian style by adding some dried basil, crushed red pepper flakes and so on. Serve it over rice or quinoa or barley or just a bed of greens along with a soup or gravy. I made a lentil based gravy aka dal to make this a complete meal.
Cauliflower Steaks
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn:

Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
Ingredients:
  • 1 Medium Cauliflower
  • 2tsp Ground Cumin
  • ¼tsp Turmeric
  • 1tsp Red Chili powder (adjust as per taste)
  • 1tbsp Kasoori Methi, crumbled
  • 3tbsp Olive Oil
  • To Taste Salt & Pepper
Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
  2. Place the cauliflower head down on a chopping board and carefully cut into about ¾" thick steaks through the stem. Reserve any loose florets for later use. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Heat 1tbsp oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Place the steak on the pan and cook for 2~3 minutes per side until lightly golden.
  4. In the meantime, combine the remaining 2tbsp oil with red chili powder, crumbled kasoori methi, ground cumin and turmeric.
  5. Transfer the par cooked cauliflower steaks on to a baking sheet and brush or spoon on the spicy oil. Roast for about 20~25 minutes or until tender. Serve right away over brown rice or quinoa.
Cauliflower Steaks


 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 58.
Signature

6 comments:

  1. The dish sounds tempting and you have done a great job in getting that perfect shape of gobi. However I think I need to brush up my chopping skills to get that shape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cauliflower surely looks so beautiful!..whenever I see one I tend to pick it up..though what I plan to make with it never materialize in the end...waiting for the season to hit us this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I always buy cauliflower imagining varied possibilities but end up using it for a dry sautée. This I have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried almost the same type of cauliflower steak long back and loved it to the core..With Indian spices, can imagine how delicious this steaks will be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great idea to work with cauliflower, Pavani.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips