Cook's Hideout: Turkish Pizza Bread (Pide)

April 10, 2015

Turkish Pizza Bread (Pide)

BM# 51 -- Baking Marathon: Day 9
Bake of the Day: Turkish Pizza - Pide
After all the breads and loaves posts, today I have a recipe for a slightly different pizza. It's pizza from Turkey called Pide. It is a soft and chewy bread that is made with yogurt and traditionally shaped with a slight hollow that can accommodate any number of fillings.
Turkish Pizza Bread (Pide)
Pide is essentially a boat shaped bread that is used as a pizza base and can be filled with grilled veggies, cheese, eggs. Even sweet fillings like fruit and custard can be used as fillings and served as cake.
Turkish Pizza Bread (Pide)
I saw the recipe for this pizza in 'Veggiestan: A vegetable lover's tour of the Middle East' cookbook by Sally Butcher. Knowing my family's love for pizza, I tried this for them right away. The pizza base was soft and the shape so interesting that it was an instant hit. My husband said this was the best homemade pizza he ever had.
Turkish Pizza Bread (Pide)
The dough is very easy to work with, even my son wanted to knead it and as you can see another hand is also sneaking up to help him :-)
Turkish Pizza Bread (Pide)
I kept the fillings simple, just some pizza sauce with spinach, onions, corn and cheese. You can get creative with the fillings and have fun. In any case, this pizza is sure to be a hit every time it's made.
The next 2 pics show how to make the boat shaped pizza. I found it easy to shape after placing the fillings in the middle.
Turkish Pizza Bread (Pide)

Turkish Pizza Bread (Pide)
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 2cups
Whole wheat flour - 1⅓cups
Instant Yeast - 2¼tsp
Sugar - ½tsp 
Salt - 1tsp
Greek Yogurt - 2tbsp
Olive Oil - 2tbsp
Lukewarm Water - ⅔~1cup
Soy milk - 2tbsp (or use 1 lightly whisked egg)
Seeds of Choice (Mustard, Nigella, Sesame & Caraway) - 1tbsp (optional)

Method:
  • Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Start with ⅔cup water and add more water as needed to form a smooth, pliable dough. Knead for 6~7 minutes on a stand mixer or 10~12 minutes by hand.
  • Transfer to a lightly greased bowl, cover and set aside for 1½~2 hours or until doubled in volume.
  • Gently deflate the dough and then knead it a little more. Divide it into 2 balls and form each one into a pointed oval shape, pinching the edges to form a fat rim -- almost like a boat. Actually any shape can be made, but this torpedo shape is the most traditional. 
  • Cover the loaves and set aside for another 20 minutes to rise a little more.
  • Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place a pizza stone or couple of greased baking sheets in the oven to heat up. 
  • Brush the loaves with the egg wash (or soy milk) and sprinkle with seeds (if using). Fill the inside with the choice of toppings and slide each pizza onto the hot baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy hot!! 


Signature

22 comments:

  1. So cute to see lil hands helping you ! Just a twist of normal pizza dough does wonders isn't it ? You r tempting me to make this and replace one of the BM posts :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a new one I learnt today!!! looks super attractive..

    And those small hands to help is a boon!! You should be a proud mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ooyi gooyi cheese and corn combo. A great share

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure time flies up. Didn't realize your little one has grown up enough to take interest in the kitchen stuff. :) Did she turn two BTW?
    That pide looks delicious and I am going to try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had bookmarked the pide recipe when Varada posted and also had it on one my initial lists for this BM. I some how forgot about it. Your pide look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is definitely a different version of pizza for me. I never knew other places were also thinking in the same lines as Italy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely a different version of pizza for me. I never knew other places were also thinking in the same lines as Italy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i made during last mega marathon under TUrkey and totally loved it..it is so easy to work as you say...ur pictures are amazing- well like always

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pides are in my to do list since a long, now u r pulling me to make some soon.. Wat a droolworthy pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh that cute lil hands, even my LO loves kneading the bread dough when i m working on it!! The pide looks totally scrumptious, filling though simple is sinful with all that cheese!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have tried it with two different fillings and we loved them both. The boat shape somehow makes it special. Love the little helping hands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful Pizza. The shape is unique. And as usual,stunning pics Pavani. I wanna try right away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hubby has been asking me to bake pide since a while now.. Bookmarking!
    And must say it has turned out excellent, just perfect Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pide sounds interesting and the shape of the pizza sounds inviting..your clicks make me hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the cute little hands there! Interesting variation of pizza :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Pide has turned out superb Pavani..and love all the pictures including your lil ones too..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning clicks. For now bookmarked. Dunno how many i am going to boomark in this bm

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is fun to get the kids in the kitchen especially when baking! This looks so beautiful and I am tempted to take a bite :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is looking so yummy and beautifully made, very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous bread. And love those filling too. Only today I let my daughter do some baking. Kids surely love to help us...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those helping hands certainly make your work easier. Love the pide in fact I love them all and want to try them out,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips