Cook's Hideout: Eggless Berry Cake (with Sour Cream) -- Peppa Pig Fondant Cake

April 22, 2015

Eggless Berry Cake (with Sour Cream) -- Peppa Pig Fondant Cake

BM# 51 -- Baking Marathon: Day 19
Bake of the Day: Celebration Cakes -- Eggless Berry Cake (with Sour Cream)
After my son's birthday cakes (Cookie cake & Dulche de Leche cake), I made this eggless berry cake for my niece. I was volunteering to bake cakes left and right, so I can bake new cakes for the marathon. I think some of my friends & family were even creeped out on how obsessed I was to bring a cake to the party -- poor people ;-)
Eggless Berry Cake (with Sour Cream) -- Peppa Pig Fondant Cake
I asked my niece what flavored cake she wants -- she wasn't really worried about the flavor, she just wanted a princess cake that was pink. So I accepted the challenge and even found a recipe and instructions on making a nice Barbie princess cake. Initially it seemed easy enough to make but as I kept thinking about it seemed like a daunting task, so I changed my mind and decided on making this Peppa Pig cake instead because she is a big fan of Peppa. Good that I didn't promise her a princess cake in the first place. She was definitely excited to see Peppa on the cake.

This Eggless Berry cake is adapted from Gayathri's eggless strawberry cake. Gayathri's cake is a beautiful pink cake with even more beautiful frosting and pearls. The big mistake I made was to use homemade mixed berry jam that made the cake purple colored instead of pretty pink. I almost cried looking at the color, but then I didn't have too much time for a redo. I went with it and covered it completely with frosting and fondant. I sprinkled some sugar syrup (equal parts sugar and water boiled for couple of minutes) on the cake to keep it moist and then decorated it.
Eggless Berry Cake (with Sour Cream) -- Peppa Pig Fondant Cake
I frosted the cake with buttercream frosting, poured a chocolate ganache (2:1 chocolate chips:cream) on top (to resemble the muddy puddle that Peppa loves to play in) and then added some fondant decorations. This was my first time working with fondant and I was quite excited. It wasn't as hard as I imagined to be. I bought Wilton ready-to-use fondant and colored it as needed.
All in all, a delicious cake (forget about the purple color) that attracted the kids and adults with its outside looks ;-)

Recipe adapted from Gayathri's Strawberry Cake:
Ingredients: Makes 1 8" round cake.
All purpose flour - 1½cups
Baking powder - 1tsp
Baking Soda - ½tsp
Salt - ½tsp
Unsalted Butter - 6tbsp @ room temperature
Sugar - ½cup
Strawberry Jam - ⅓cup
Pure Vanilla extract - 1tsp
Sour Cream - 1cup

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 8" round cake pan.
  • In a mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  • In another mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the jam, vanilla extract and sour cream. Mix well until combined.
  • Stir in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until everything is incorporated.
  • Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25~30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
  • Remove from the pan after 5 minutes onto a wire rack to cool completely.

18 comments:

  1. That is irresistible cake.. So drooling here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you had a click of the purple inside as well. I am so curious about it :-). The cake looks absolutely delicious and fondant just looks daunting, it actually isn't that tough. The sides with the contrast look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as long as she liked..but you must really attempt the princess cake it is not that difficult at all...this one looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your niece is very much lucky to get this stunning cake for her birthday.. Wat a beautiful cake, you have just played with fondant, stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are rocking.. its so perfect

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done Pavani! Like Rajani i too would have loved a peep inside but I know how hard it is to click cakes made for others since I have made this cake from Gayathri a space I know that the cake turns out spongy and delicious .

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful cake and curious how the inside looked as you said it was purple. Your family and friends are lucky to taste all these delicious cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully decorated. The ganache does look like a puddle. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pavani, that's such a lovely cake with beautiful frosting on top..I love how sinful your ganache looks..I will never ever be daring enough to undertake under cakes..:)..not even for BM..hhehehe..so kudos on a wonderful job done..yea wish we had a peak on the inside..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done cake,looks awesome..you have got a such artistic hand and kudos to your effort..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your niece's name reminded me Bommarillu movie. :) With teenagers at home, I don't know the Peppa pig character but the cake looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute cake dear!! You have played with fondant!! nice details!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thats a pretty dressed up cake !! great job and well done :) Can I be your niece ???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully frosted cake, good pics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The peppa pig is so cute. My kids probably don't remember this character but I still do :) Lovely cake.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cake looks so cute. Loved that ganache dripping effect on the sides. And thank you so much for the mention...

    ReplyDelete
  17. The peppa pig is just peeking at me :) There was one time when I just could not take the snorting! The cake looks really good Pavani!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My LO too loves Peppa Pig, cake looks damn tempting!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips