Cook's Hideout: Homemade Palmiers

April 28, 2015

Homemade Palmiers

BM# 51 -- Baking Marathon: Day 24
Bake of the Day: Palmiers
We are slowing inching towards to the end of this marathon. Can't believe that we have been baking non-stop for the whole month of April -- it almost makes me sad that we won't be having this much fun baking, posting and enjoying each other's posts.
Today's bake, Palmiers, are so easy to make if you have store bought puff pastry sheets. I have seen quite a few recipes online to make quick puff pastry at home -- like this one by Gayathri. But I can't dare to make it at home, it seems to be a lot of work AND lot of butter. I guess I'm OK with the store bought puff pastry sheets that have same quantity of butter and even more other unnecessary ingredients.
Homemade Palmiers
Palmier (palm tree in French) or elephant ear is a heart shaped French pastry made in heart shape or palm shape. They are like the 'little hearts' we get in India. Costco sells a big box of them and I'm always tempted to pick them up, but knowing that they are very simple to make, I always end up not buying.

Homemade Palmiers
Finally I tried them for this marathon and they are really simple to make with very few ingredients and they get done really fast too. They are best eaten warm because they tend to get a little chewy as they cool. The good thing about the recipe is that the unbaked palmiers can be frozen for later and can be baked in smaller batches when ready to serve.
Homemade Palmiers
Recipe adapted from here:
Ingredients
Puff Pastry Sheets - 1, defrosted (left at room temperature for 30 minutes or left in the fridge overnight)
Sugar - ¾cup
Ground Cinnamon - ½tsp 
Salt - a pinch

Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Combine the sugar, salt and ground cinnamon in a small bowl. 
  • Pour ½cup of the mixture on a big plate or wooden board. Unfold the puff pastry sheet onto the sugar and pour another ¼cup of  the sugar mixture on top, spreading it evenly on the puff pastry. Make sure to evenly cover the pastry with sugar.
  • Roll the dough until its about 13"x13" square and the sugar is pressed into the puff pastry on top and bottom. 
  • Fold the sides of the square towards the center so they go halfway to the middle of the dough, Then fold 1 half over the other half as though closing a book. There will be 6 layers.
  • Slice the dough into ⅜" slices and place the slices, cut side up on the baking sheet.
  • Bake the palmiers for 6~7 minutes or until caramelized and brown on the bottom. Then turn them over with a spatula and bake for another 3~5 minutes, until caramelized on the other side. Transfer to a baking rack to cool.

12 comments:

  1. wow pavani,, the palmiers are looking so delicious!!! love the click with the beverage... Also the browning looks perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Pavani, those pictures are simply superb!..I have always wanted to make these myself and I used to love Little Hearts...Until few months back, I hadn't really looked up how one makes this..using store bought sheets sounds so easy..:)..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such an easy recipe and so delicious. I love those little hearts we get in India. I like your setup for these pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great. I love the gloss on the biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks simply delicious! They are so easy to make when we use the store bought puff pastry sheet. I am still trying to understand the folds, but I am sure when I am working with the pastry sheet and reading the instructions, I will get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts are same as yours when it comes to puff pastry sheets and croissants. I try to forget about the calories when they are store bought. :) I tried these palmiers once long ago and it was a disaster. I never dared to try them again. Your palmiers look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cant resist to those prefectly baked and absolutely irresistible brownish palmiers..Just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute.. before my little heart gets hurt can you send me those please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Palmiers look so crunchy and addictive, its in my to do list..very well captured.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very addictive and glossy plamiers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woow this is too tempting !! perfect palmiers..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips