Cook's Hideout: Spicy Korean Tofu with Pear Slaw for #Food of the World

April 14, 2015

Spicy Korean Tofu with Pear Slaw for #Food of the World

For this month's #Food of the World event, we are going to South Korea. The town we live in has a large Korean population in fact one of our next door neighbors are Korean. We have a very big Korean grocery store in town (actually that is the only store we have in town) and they have pretty much everything you need to make a Korean dish at home.
Spicy Korean Tofu with Pear Slaw
For today, I actually wanted to make another dish and bought the ingredients too. It was a cold noodle dish and the noodles I bought completely clumped up after boiling. Not sure what went wrong and then I had to change plans and make this tofu.
Spicy Korean Tofu with Pear Slaw
I'm glad I tried this dish because this is probably the best tofu I've ever made. Recipe is from Vegetarian Times magazine. It uses Korean red pepper powder called gochugaru -- it has a distinctly sweet heat and is worth seeking out. Luckily I picked it up on my previous grocery trip and it sure makes a lot of difference in the taste.
This is a very easy and quick to make dish that comes together in less than 30 minutes. The spicy braised tofu is served with sweet & crunchy pear slaw. My husband liked the whole dish and this will be featuring on our weekly menu going forward.
Spicy Korean Tofu with Pear Slaw
Recipe from here:
Ingredients:
For the Tofu:
Firm or Extra firm Tofu - 1 14oz., pack, drained and patted dry and cut into 8 rectangular slices
Low sodium Soy sauce - 3tbsp
Korean red pepper powder (gochugaru) - 1tbsp (or use 1½tsp red chili flakes)
Maple Syrup - 2tsp
Rice Vinegar - 1tsp
Green Onions - 2, thinly sliced
Garlic - 2 cloves, finely minced

For the Pear Slaw:
Pear (Bartlett preferred) - 1, sliced into matchsticks (I used Anjou Pear)
Rice Vinegar - 1tsp
Black sesame seeds - 1tsp, toasted

Method:
  • To make the tofu: Heat 1tbsp toasted sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add the tofu in single layer and cook for 7~9 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
  • In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, maple syrup, rice vinegar, gochugaru and 3tbsp water. Stir in the scallions and garlic.
  • Pour the sauce over the tofu, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the skillet and cook for 5~7 minutes, or until most of the sauce is absorbed. Flip tofu halfway through cooking.
  • To make Pear Slaw: Toss pear matchsticks with rice vinegar and sesame seeds.
  • To serve: Arrange 2 tofu rectangles on each of the 4 serving plates and top each with the par slaw. Serve right away!!
Spicy Korean Tofu with Pear Slaw

Please visit our cohosts blogs and follow their sites! 

Submit your Korean recipes using the linky tool below:

Signature
 




8 comments:

  1. I will look for the seasoning you mentioned. I love how getting a new spice can open you up to entire cuisine. The tofu looks delicious. As far as the clumpy noodles are concerned my guess is either/or: not enough water in the pot and not stirred enough. Also, Asian noodles cook quickly and continue to cook so remove them al dente.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a refreshing change from all d bakes we have been having !! Am definitely making these .. Loved it :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... And how do I join this event pavani ? Inbox me pl.. Am guessing this is a monthly free-of-standArd recipe kind of event

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Pavani you have me drooling

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even like tofu but this looks so good.. really surprised to see maple syrup in this - must give it quite a distinctive taste

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tofu and yours looks excellent. I'll have to look for the gochugaru...you can't have too many types of chili can you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never cooked Tofu myself - but have enjoyed it when eating out periodically. This dish looks absolutely lovely and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips