Cook's Hideout: Bajre Ki Khichdi (Pearl Millet/ Sajjala Khichdi)

July 03, 2014

Bajre Ki Khichdi (Pearl Millet/ Sajjala Khichdi)

Blogging Marathon# 42: Week 1/ Day 1
Theme: All about Millets
Dish: Bajre Ki Khichdi
Yet another month rolls by and today we are starting this month's blogging marathon. Big difference for me is I'm joining the lovely BM gals only 2 weeks this month, because it is vacation time and we are packing for a month long trip to India --- yay!!!!!! I wanted to skip this month altogether, but Valli's themes pulled me in.
So for the first week, I picked up a relatively easy theme, All about Millets. I have started cooking with millets about 5~6 years back and interestingly I tried foxtail millet for the first time in a Mexican dish. It wasn't until later that I found out that they are very commonly used in India too.
Bajre Ki Khichdi (Pearl Millet/ Sajjala Khichdi)
Millets are an ancient cereal cultivated in the dry climates of Africa and northern China. Interestingly millets were the staple food of Indian, Chinese and Korean civilizations. There are about 6000 varieties of millet throughout the world with grains varying in color. Foxtail millet is one of the oldest varieties.
Bajra/ Sajjalu/ Pearl Millet
Today's recipe has been on my to-make list since the last mega marathon we had in April. Bajra/ Pearl Millet/ Sajjalu was one of the most popular ingredient used in Haryana cuisine. I bought some bajra and made this khichdi.
Bajre Ki Khichdi (Pearl Millet/ Sajjala Khichdi)
It takes a while to cook bajra, using the pressure cooker is one of the quickest methods. This is a very hearty and filling meal. Both my kids loved it too. I added some mixed veggies to the dish to make it more substantial.

Recipe adapted from PJ's blog:
Ingredients: S
Bajra/ Pearl Millet - ½cup
Moong dal - ¼cup
Mixed Vegetables - 1cup, chopped (I used frozen mixed vegetables with carrot, green beans, green peas and corn)
Red Chili powder - 1tsp
Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Dry red chili - 1
Turmeric - ¼tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1tsp
Salt - to taste

Method:

  • Soak the millet and moong dal separately for 30 minutes.
  • Heat 2tsp oil in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds and once the seeds splutter, add the onions and cook till they are lightly browned. 
  • Next add the mixed vegetables and cook for 2~3 minutes. They don't have to be cooked all the way through, they will cook along with the millet and moong dal.
  • Drain the millet and moong dal; add them to the veggie mixture and cook for a minute.
  • Add the turmeric, chili powder and salt. Mix well and add 3cups of water. Pressure cook on medium-low flame for at least 5~6 whistles. 
  • Let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid and if you see that there is water in the cooker, then simmer until all of the water is absorbed. Serve hot with some yogurt or a pickle.
Bajre Ki Khichdi (Pearl Millet/ Sajjala Khichdi)
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 42.
Signature

10 comments:

  1. That's really nice to know these millets being used in other cuisines as well Pavani, thanks for the historian account..:)..infact I always felt Mexican cuisine being very similar to our Indian. Your Bajri Khichdi looks so good..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat a complete and wholesome khichdi..Inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh very healthy recipe You took me back to Vaishali's place. I was remembering that what we had at her place but that is with rice. mouthwatering....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your clicks are tempting me to make this again. Glad that the kids enjoyed the meal and thanks for the mention :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Khichidi looks delicious ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious looking khichdi! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Khichdi looks so tasty and filling. Lovely clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The khicdilooks so nice and comforting. ...and of course lovely clicks as usual. P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Healthy khichdi. I haven't cooked with this millet yet. Have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Healthy & filling khichdi.. Very yum.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips