Cook's Hideout: Behind the scenes of Food Photography

July 18, 2014

Behind the scenes of Food Photography

Blogging Marathon# 42: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: Misc Food Related -- Behind the Food Photos
Topic: Behind the scenes of Food photography
After getting the backgrounds and props ready, it is time to take the photos of your yummy food. First thing to consider is the Lighting. Here's a previous post where I talked a little bit about Lighting. Finding good natural or artificial light is absolutely critical for food photography.
Behind the scenes of Food Photography

All of my photos are taken in natural light. One of the perks of being a stay-at-home mom is that I now know the spots around the house where there is good light depending on the time of the day. I am lucky enough to have enough space in the house to move my boards anywhere I want. After signing up for this theme, I found another good spot in the kitchen that can used between 10AM-12PM. Photos for the Vegetarian McMuffins were taken using this setup.
Behind the scenes of Food Photography

Behind the scenes of Food Photography
Depending on the direction of light used, there are 2 type of lightings -- Side Lighting & Back Lighting. All of my photos have side lighting. I usually place a bouncer on the other side to reflect the light back on to the food. I haven't been successful in taking back light photos.
Behind the scenes of Food Photography
A typical behind the scene of my food photos include my 20 month old walking around with me wherever I go. If I leave the setup to bring something from the kitchen, it is 100% sure that she is going to either spill something or mess up the setup. So I carry her with me or keep everything in book shelves where she can't reach them. She runs away with spoons, mint leaves and just about anything she can get her hands on in a blink of an eye.
Behind the scenes of Food Photography

Behind the scenes of Food Photography
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today for BM# 42.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. Oh your little one is so cute in the last picture. She looks like a one mischievous girl! Is that a cabinet door that you used as a background in the first picture? That looks so good. I love back lighting and most of my pictures are back lit. I loved all your posts under this theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually am in learning process of food fotography and this post will definitely help me a lot, thanks Pavani again and am bookmarking this page for my further use..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pavani, I love this post..it's so wonderful to see how you setup and click..I went back to mac and saw how beautiful it looked..and love lil D running around with you..how very sweet!..however I know how hard it must..great job...enjoyed this series so much..thanks for doing this despite having a tight schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww that lasy clickis very cute! ! I have started using a bouncer and I m not sure what back lighting is? Now sitting at amma's place though I have lots of light none.of my props are with me so feel little handicapped to take food photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats so cute Pavani. You have a mobile helping hand with you at all times... :) :) Loved your series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely written post Pavani. Lots of nice tips. Love the last two pictures featuring your little one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. she is too cute - another useful post - Hope my photos improve by using some of your tips

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post. And I couldn't help smiling and imagining your little one running ..it is such a natural phenomena. .;))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your photos..a very useful
    Post for me..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the antics of your lil one! Excellent post, Pavani!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post Pavani. Love the last pic. I can totally understand your situation while clicking pics. My LO does that too and there are so many instances where he pulls down the dish from eh set up and messes it all up. But its all a part of life!! Enjoyed this series Pavani:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter was with me when I was going thru your post and she is fascinated with your daughter's antics. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips