Cook's Hideout: Bajra Methi na Thepla (Pearl Millet/ Sajjala Thepla)

July 04, 2014

Bajra Methi na Thepla (Pearl Millet/ Sajjala Thepla)

I'm sticking with the theme of the week, All about Millets and made these theplas with bajra flour (pearl millet flour) and methi. This year I planted only a few greens in my backyard because with the India trip I didn't want the plants to suffer while we were away. I harvested most of them and gave some away to family and friends.
Bajra Methi na Thepla (Pearl Millet/ Sajjala Thepla)
I had half a pot of methi leaves that needed to be used up. I bookmarked this recipe from 'India: The  Cookbook' by Pushpesh Pant. I borrowed this book from the library, but had to return it since ran out of my renewals. I think I renewed it about 6 times, but finally had to return the book before they snatch my library card permanently from me. Even with all the renewals, I couldn't get through most of my bookmarked recipes. So I took pictures of the recipes on my phone, this way I can get to them whenever I want to.
Bajra Methi na Thepla (Pearl Millet/ Sajjala Thepla)
These theplas are almost like these Methi Theplas I made, but the spices and the flours are slightly different. I wasn't expecting my kids to like these and made only a few to me and my husband. But they both loved these and ate more than half of what I made.  
Bajra Methi na Thepla (Pearl Millet/ Sajjala Thepla)




Ingredients:
Atta/ Whole wheat flour - 1cup
Bajra Flour (Pearl millet flour) - 1cup
Methi leaves - ½cup, chopped
Ground Coriander - 1tsp
Ground Cumin - 1tsp
Ground Turmeric - ¼tsp
Red chili powder - 1tsp
Ginger - ½" piece, finely grated
Jaggery/ Soft brown sugar - 2tbsp
Vegetable Oil - 2tbsp
Sour yogurt or Sour Cream - ~1cup
Salt - to taste

Method:

  • Combine the flours, ground spices, ginger, salt and jaggery or salt in a mixing bowl. Add the methi leaves and oil. Mix well adding enough yogurt to make a soft and smooth dough. Knead the dough briefly. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
  • Divide the dough into 10~12 equal portions and roll into balls. Flatten the balls and roll them out into 5~6" round discs.
  • Heat a tawa/ griddle on medium heat. Add a thepla and cook until it changes color and brown spots form. Brush with oil or melted ghee. Flip and cook on the second side until done. Repeat with the rest of the dough balls. Serve hot with yogurt and pickle.
Bajra Methi na Thepla (Pearl Millet/ Sajjala Thepla)




Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: July -- Week 1'.










Signature

6 comments:

  1. Definitely an excellent and nutritious thepla, i want some for my lunch rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the theplas are looking so inviting Pavani..I enjoyed this when I had made it for the Indian states..though bajra is so commonly used in our hone, we have never added methi to it. So it was entirely a new taste..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these theplas .. rich in iron n calcium

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so inviting Pavani. Want to see how it tasted with methi leaves.Love the last pic:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome. I make methi paratha but the thought of adding bajra was never in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried making thepla once a few years ago and was unsuccessful now I am more experienced in flat breads needs to try again and your version here is inviting me so much

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips