Cook's Hideout: Spicy Eggplant Curry (Vankaya Masala kura)

July 25, 2014

Spicy Eggplant Curry (Vankaya Masala kura)

Today's dish is made by my neighbor aunty and since it is an eggplant curry made in a different way, I had to click to pictures and post the recipe for future reference. One of the perks of living in India is the loving neighbors who share their homemade dishes and recipes. 
When I signed up for this month's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge', I knew I might have to bother my mom to make some of her signature dishes so that I can share them with you all. But luckily I have more than one source here and thanks to my dear aunty I have a yummy eggplant curry in my repertoire. 
Spicy Eggplant Curry (Vankaya Masala kura)
This curry is partially made in the pressure cooker and then finished off in the saute pan. This method helps in cooking the curry with minimum oil and also expedites the cooking process.
Spicy Eggplant Curry (Vankaya Masala kura)
Ingredients:
Baby Eggplants - 8~10, make a '+' slit on the bottom of each eggplant
Onion - 1 large, coarsely chopped
Tomato - 2 small, chopped
Dry red chilies - 4~5 (adjust as per taste)
Garlic cloves - 3
Coriander seeds - 2tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Make the Masala: Blend onions, tomatoes, red chilies, coriander seeds and cumin seeds into a smooth paste.
  • In a pressure cooker, place the eggplants and add the masala. Sprinkle ¼ cup of water and cook on medium flame for 1 whistle.
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a saute pan, transfer the contents of the cooker into the saute pan and cook until the curry thickens and the flavors meld.
  • This curry can be made without the pressure cooker too. Simply add the eggplants and the ground paste to a saute pan with 1~2tbsp oil. Cook covered until the eggplants are completely tender.
Spicy Eggplant Curry (Vankaya Masala kura)


Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: July -- Week 4'.










Signature

5 comments:

  1. because of your awesome photos even this eggplant hater finds this dish looking so appetizing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome now have one more eggplant recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love eggplant and now adding one more to the 'to-do'list.Looks so yum Pavanai.Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, baingan curry looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips