VeganMofo Day 12: Breakfast on a weekday in our household used to be a quick toast with pb&j or cereal. Being home and having my mom around, we have started to have more substantial breakfasts now.
Today morning I made this quick and healthy Oats Upma (porridge). I was planning on using Steel Cut Oats, but ran short of time, so ended up using Rolled oats for a quicker breakfast. Also I grated a carrot and added it, so it cooks faster. Veggies like potato, peppers, green beans, shredded cabbage etc can also be added.
Ingredients: (Makes 3 servings)
Rolled oats - 1½cups
Onion - 1 medium, thinly sliced
Carrot - 1 small, grated
Green Peas - ½cup
Green chilies - 2, slit
Ginger - 1" piece, finely grated
Lemon juice - 1tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chili - 2
Curry leaves - 8-10
Salt - to taste
- Dry roast Oats in a large saute pan until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat 2tsp oil in the same pan; add the seeds and once they splutter add curry leaves and dry red chilies. Next add the onions, grated ginger and green chili; cook until onions turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add grated carrots; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2¼cups of water, peas and salt. Cover and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the roasted oats; lower the heat to simmer and cook until all the water is absorbed and the oats are cooked through, about 4-5 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemon juice, mix well and serve immediately.