Cook's Hideout: Kadai Tofu (Tofu & Peppers in Creamy Tomato Sauce)

October 18, 2012

Kadai Tofu (Tofu & Peppers in Creamy Tomato Sauce)

VeganMofo Day 18: I rarely used Tofu in Indian dishes, I'm not sure why I have never tried it before. Tofu to me is a very Asian ingredient and I tend to use in Chinese or Thai dishes. I know tofu is very versatile and I finally decided to use it in a way I've never used it before.

Veganmofo is going pretty good so far, I missed 4 days so far and hopefully I can keep up the momentum and finish the month with no further disruptions. The little one is keeping us busy, so most of my blogging is happening only around midnight. 
Today's dish is a Vegan version of a famous Indian restaurant favorite "Kadai Paneer", a dry curry dish made with Paneer, peppers and tomatoes. I decided to make it using tofu and made it with creamy tomato gravy instead of making a dry curry. I served this with some Mint Pulao (recipe follows).

Ingredients:
Tofu - 1 14oz. slab, drained and cubed
Pepper - 1 medium, cubed (I used green pepper, but any color pepper can be used)
Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Tomato - 2 medium, chopped
Tomato paste - 1tbsp
Ginger + Garlic paste - ½tsp
Almond paste - 2tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Red Chili powder - 1tsp
Ground Cumin - 1tsp
Ground Coriander - 1tsp
Garam Masala - ½tsp
Salt - to taste

Method:
  •  Heat 2tsp oil in a non-stick pan, add the chopped tofu and saute until lightly browned. Remove onto a plate and set aside.
  • In the same pan, heat 2tsp oil; add cumin seeds and once they splutter, add onions and saute until lightly browned.Add ginger + garlic paste and cook for 1 minute.
  • Next add the peppers; cover and cook until tender.
  • Add all the dry masalas and salt; cook for 2 minutes.
  • Add tomato paste and chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes turn mushy, about 5 minutes.
  • Next add the almond paste and about 1cup of water; simmer the mixture until you get the desired consistency.
  • Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with either rice or roti.
Mint Rice with Mixed Vegetables:
Ingredients:
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Mixed Vegetables - 2 cups (I used frozen mixed veggies -- carrots, green beans, green peas and corn)
Onion - 1 large, thinly sliced
Mint - 1 cup, chopped
Cilantro - ½cup, chopped
Ginger + Garlic paste - ½tsp
Pulao Masala - 1tsp
Red chili powder - ½tsp
Salt - to taste

Spices:
Shah Jeera - 1tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Cinnamon - 1" stick
Cloves - 3
Cardamom pods - 3

Method:
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a pressure cooker; add all the spices and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
  • Add onions and saute until lightly browned around the edges.
  • Add ginger + garlic paste and cook for 1 minute.
  • Next add the mixed veggies, mint and cilantro. Cook for 2 minutes.
  • Add red chili powder, pulao masala, salt and rice. Add 1½cups of water (water can be substituted with a mixture of rice milk and soy yogurt) and cook for 2 whistles.
  • Serve hot with a gravy dish.
Signature

1 comment:

  1. Yummy and delicious recipes.. Awesome presentation too.. thanks for sharing :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips