Cook's Hideout: Vegan Mug Cakes

October 31, 2012

Vegan Mug Cakes

VeganMofo Day 31: Today's the last day of October and the last day for this year's Vegan month of food. I totally enjoyed making and blogging about Vegan food. I tried some new dishes and some new ingredients and totally loved going vegan for the whole month. I have to say I'm enjoying my morning coffee with soy milk and my breakfast cereal with almond milk. Even though I didn't like the taste, texture or the smell of soy yogurt, it works great in biryanis and rawa dosas. I'm totally in love with Almond "mozarella" cheese that melted beautifully. So all in all it's been a great month of eating and I'm already looking forward to next year's edition.

To celebrate the last day of Veganmofo, I made 2 vegan microwave mug cakes; one with banana and the other with chocolate. Microwave cakes are perfect when you want to make something fast and don't want to deal with leftovers. Also you can make 2 different flavored cakes in matter of minutes, so when the urge to have something sweet strikes, make a mug cake and enjoy!!
Banana Microwave Mug Cake: Recipe adapted from here.
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 1/3 cup
Sugar -¼cup
Baking powder - ¼tsp
Ground Cinnamon - 1/8tsp
Salt - pinch
Banana - half of medium size banana, about ¼cup
Oil - 1tbsp
Soy milk - 2tbsp
Vanilla - ¼tsp
Toasted Almonds - for garnish

For Frosting: Enough for both the banana and chocolate mug cakes
Vegan Cream cheese - 3tbsp, softened
Powdered Sugar - 3tbsp
Soy milk - 2tsp
Vanilla - 2 drops

Method:
  • Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a mug. Add all the wet ingredients and mix well to combine. Make sure to mix from the bottom of the mug.
  • Microwave on high for 2 - 2½ minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  • For the Frosting: Mix all the ingredients until light and fluffy. Put the frosting in a small ziploc bag and pipe onto the cake. ENJOY!!


Chocolate Microwave Mug Cake:
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - ¼cup
Sugar - ¼cup
Unsweetened Cocoa powder - 2tbsp
Baking Powder - ¼tsp
Baking Soda - 1/8tsp
Salt - pinch
Vegetable Oil - 2tbsp
Soy milk - 2tbsp
Vanilla - ¼tsp

Method:
  • Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a mug.  Add all the wet ingredients and mix well to combine. Make sure to mix from the bottom of the mug.
  • Microwave on high for 1½ - 2 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  • Enjoy as is or frost with the cream cheese frosting.

11 comments:

  1. I am fancying these mug cakes now a days... and this looks very good. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! I can't wait to try them.
    Erin @ Wholly Delicious Dishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish i get that chocolate mug cake rite now, will definitely satisy my sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine exploded in the microwave. Not sure why, but it tastes great! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for a last minute Vegan Cake.I am usually skeptical about Microwave Cakes-but with this much yummy ingredients in one cake it can only be flop proof!
    Breville Smart Oven

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine always explode in the microwave! What am I doing wrong??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine always explode in the microwave! What am I doing wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallena, I never had my cake explode in the microwave. But the reasons for explosion could be one of the following:
      ** Mug too small --- cake expands after baking (microwaving), so use a bigger mug to accommodate the expansion.
      ** Power of the microwave too high -- play around with the power level, bring it down to may be 80 and see what happens.
      ** Microwave in installments -- check after 1 minute and see how things are going.
      Hope this helps :-)
      Pavani

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this (chocolate) cake!! I make it gluten free and sugar free, too (with erythritol). My question is, can the recipe be adapted for a full-sized, conventional-oven cake? If so, are there any tricks to know? (Temperature and bake time, for example.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips