VeganMofo Day 22: Happy Durgashtami for Everyone. We (my mom & I) made Vegetable bhath and Rava Kesari for the 8th day of Navarathri.
Vegetable bhath is something my mom always made at home and I make it too when I have some time on hand and want to serve something other than fried rice or biryani. I posted vegetable bhath recipe way back in 2008 and coincidentally that was also during the month of October for Veganmofo. I'm updating the post with a better picture.
I made some Vegan Sooji Halwa as offering to Durga.
Sooji (Semolina) - 1cup
Sugar - 1cup
Water - 2cups (I used 1cup each of Rice Milk and Water)
Cardamom powder - 1tsp
Almonds - 2tbsp
Raisins - 2tbsp
- Heat 1tbsp vegan "butter" (I used Earth Balance Soy free spreadable butter) and 1tsp oil in a a wide bottomed saute pan; add almonds and raisins and fry until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1tbsp vegan "butter" and saute sooji (semolina) until it is lightly browned.
- Remove sooji into a bowl and add the sugar and mix well.
- In the same pan, bring water (or a combination of water and milk) to a boil; slowly add in the sooji and sugar mixture and let cook on low flame until cooked through.
- Add the cardamom powder and fried almonds & raisins. Remove from heat and serve.