Cook's Hideout: Whole Wheat Walnut Bread

December 30, 2009

Whole Wheat Walnut Bread

Recipe Marathon - Day 6

This is yet another bread that I made from Whole Grains baking book by King Arthur Flour. I borrowed the book from the library and I’m totally in love with it. There are a ton of recipes that I’ve already bookmarked to make. I’m planning to buy it from Amazon because there’s no way I can make all my bookmarked dishes before the time runs out on the book.
This is probably the first yeast bread that I baked, not including pizza crusts & naan breads. We really liked the soft bread with the slightly crunchy crust. It is not too sweet nor too savory which makes it ideal for both sweet & savory additions. We had it for breakfast with nutella, butter & jelly and for lunch with egg salad.


Recipe from Whole Grains Baking Book.
Ingredients:
Whole Wheat flour – 3 cups (Recipe called for traditional, I used white ww)
Instant Yeast – 2½ tsp
Walnuts – ¾ cup
Light or Dark Brown sugar – 2tbsp, firmly packed
Vegetable Oil – 2tbsp
Orange Juice - 3tbsp
Lukewarm water - 1 cup

Method:
  • Combine all the ingredients, and mix & knead them until you have a soft, smooth dough. I used by hands, but you can use a stand mixer or bread machine to do this. Cover and allow the dough to rise until its puffy and nearly doubled in bulk, 1 to 2 hours.
  • Lightly grease an 8½ x 4½ inch loaf pan. Gently deflate the dough, and shape into a 8" log. Place in the prepared pan. Cover it gently with lightly greased plastic wrap or a proof cover, and allow it to rise till it's crowned about 1" over the rim of the pan, 1½ to 2½ hours.
  • Near the end of the bread's rising time, preheat the oven to 350ºF.
  • Uncover and bake the bread for about 40 minutes., tenting it with foil after 15minutes.
  • The bread is done when it is golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 190ºF. (I don't have any such fancy equipment in my kitcehn but the bread was definitely done and delicious.)
  • Remove it from the oven, after a minute or so turn it out onto a rack.
  • Brush with melted butter (I brushed some earth balance), if desired; to keep the crust soft.
  • Cool the bread 30 minutes before slicing.
Signature

7 comments:

  1. nut-cut bread :) and you added nutella to it? gosh..bread looks so fluffy with the pores..

    Wishing you and your family a Very Happy New year pavani..I'll keep in touch, even though the marathon is coming to an end..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like nuts in bread..looks good..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a delicious bread..looks nutty n yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom would love this with the walnuts! Hope you have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for mentioning the cookbook. We are so glad you are enjoying it, and very happy to hear that your library has it on their shelves.
    Your bread looks wonderful. We love it with Nutella too.

    Happy Baking in 2010.

    ~MaryJane @ King Arthur Flour

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like my bread to look exactly like this ... full of those beautiful pot-holes (can't believe I would ever say that about pot holes), I am going to search for this book too ... looks absolutely delicious, Pavani!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips