Cook's Hideout: Bittergourd in Spicy Kolhapuri gravy

December 27, 2009

Bittergourd in Spicy Kolhapuri gravy

Recipe Marathon: Day 3

Kolhapuri Misal has been on my list to make ever since I saw Sia’s detailed recipe and droolworthy pictures. It took me all this time to get around making it. I made it way less spicy than Sia’s version since I was making for a 2 year old also. We enjoyed it a lot even though the dish has quite a few components that need to be made. I don’t have the pictures of the misal itself since we ate it right away.

But today’s recipe is not the misal but another dish I made with “Kat” or the Spicy curry that is one of the components of Misal.
I had about a cup of leftover kat that needed to be used and since I didn’t have any sprouted moth beans, I used it as gravy in this buttergourd curry and it was awesome. We really enjoyed the spiciness of kat with the bitterness of the veggie.

Here’s the recipe for Kat from Sia’s post (adapted from Chakli's recipe).

Once you have the Kolhapuri masala & Kat ready this dish is a snap to make.
Ingredients:
Bittergourd – 4 medium, chopped into half moons
Onion – 1 medium, chopped
Kat – 1 cup
Tamarind paste – 2tbsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard & cumin seeds – 1tsp each
Curry leaves – 6-8

Method:
  • Place the bittergourd pieces along with tamarind, pinch of turmeric, ½ tsp of salt and ½ cup water in a microwave safe bowl. Nuke for 6-8 minutes or until the gourd is ¾th cooked. Drain and rinse under cold water; wring all the water out and set aside until ready to use.
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan, add the seeds & curry leaves, once the seeds start to splutter add onions and sauté until lightly browned around the edges.
  • Add bittergourd and sauté on medium-high heat until they start to form a crust, about 8-10 minutes.
  • Reduce the flame to low and add Kat and ½ cup water; simmer for another 8-10 minutes. Check for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
My gravy was spicy enough, so I just had to adjust the salt. But if you want it spicy add some Kolhapuri masala. This spicy dish is great for a chilly night dinner, warms you up inside-out.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. Thats a nice way of using the kat masala. Bitter gourd curry looks mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is looking very tempting. My hubby loves karela.. so have to try it...
    Vijaya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another feel good way to tell myself to eat more bittergourd..Looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Karela. The pic also looks good. I had heard about Kat from one of my Mumbai friends. Yummy yummy dish Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something really new and interesting. :) Will surely try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bittergourd is not on top of my list but i have heard if prepared in right way it tastes delicious, I love spicy food and curry looks promising!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Growing up, I didn't liked bitter gourd a whole lot. But, over the years I have come to appreciate its bitterness. This is truly one of those unique, bitter gourd recipes, you come across once in awhile ... I hope I can get my hands on some karela this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.. loved the idea of using Katt :) Must be totally spicy but delicious !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats a lovely recipe for the unwanted veggie in my house...will surely try this one...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still intimidated by bitter gourd... this looks so appealing, I might have to try it again... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I imagine bitter gourd- my fav delicious veggie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious and flavorful.New recipe to me.Will try it soon.Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips