Cook's Hideout: Pumpkin Bread Pudding

December 26, 2009

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

Recipe Marathon - Day 2
So what do you do when you bake a bread and after its cooled you realize its not completely baked in the center?? Let me know what you folks do, but I decided to make a bread pudding with the 2/3rds baked bread.
This is how the whole unbaked bread pudding came about: I had to bake bread for my colleague’s b’day and decided to make pumpkin bread from King Arthur Flour’s Whole Grains Cookbook. Recipe called to bake it for one WHOLE hour. It was a weekday and I didn’t think that the bread needs to be baked for one WHOLE hour (based on what?? I don’t know!!!). So I decided to take it out around 52 minutes, please note that I checked the doneness with my cake tester and it came out clean (psst.. just so you know I did not test the center though, did the checking somewhere along the edges). After taking it out, I noticed there was a ridge on the top, didn’t think much about it and went about doing my clean up and getting the kitchen ready for the next day. After about an hour when I came back to see if it was cool enough to cut, I noticed that the ridge has now sunken and collapsed. OK—when I cut in the center, it was still a little gooey but not too bad, so cut around it and took it to work. Just for the record, nobody realized that some part of that bread was unbaked and everybody liked it.
So now I had a container of unbaked scraps which went into this yummy bread pudding this weekend. My googling for pumpkin bread pudding brought back results with regular bread and pumpkin added to the custard. But due to the circumstances I was in I had to do a role reversal and use pumpkin bread & simple custard. I cut down on the sugar used for the custard since there is enough sugar in the bread itself. I left the bread uncovered for almost half a day to dry them a little bit. I liked so much that may be next time I’ll bake the bread just to make this pudding.


Ingredients:
Pumpkin bread – 2 cups, chopped
Egg – 1
Soymilk (Cream or half-n-half or milk) – 1½ cups
Sugar – 2-3tsp

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 350ºF.
  • Whisk milk, sugar & egg in a small bowl.
  • Grease a baking dish and add chopped bread. Pour the prepared custard and let the bread soak for 10-15 minutes. Bake for 30-40 minutes until a tester inserted in the CENTER comes out clean. Enjoy warm.
P.S.: Recipe for Pumpkin bread coming up soon.
Signature

11 comments:

  1. I guess the moral of the story is that all's well that ends well!

    But I can completely identify with the way you tested around the edges to satisfy both your need to test it and still fit the schedule. Been there done that :D

    My solution for all bread disasters is to mix the crumbs with potato and spices and make cutlets! But I guess that would not work with sweet breads. I think you came up with the most excellent solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a great idea to make bread pudding with pumpkin bread! I am going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who says the proof will be in the pudding? This is one cool creation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pavani,

    First time on your site here. I liked your Pumpkin and Soya milk combination. Very nutritious, wonder why never thought of that. Happy Blogging!!

    Cheerz
    Ashwini.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what they say about life giving you lemons ... who says you have to make only lemonade? there's always nimbu ka achaar :D Very creative Pavani! I am going to try this soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg superb recipe Pavani looks so so mouthwatering bookmarked..

    ReplyDelete
  7. When the going gets rough,the tough make pudding!Bravo!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creative idea there! And it looks mouthwatering :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely dish, very innovative one for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips