Cook's Hideout: Pachi Pulusu

October 26, 2006

Pachi Pulusu

This is a quick and easy recipe from my mother-in-law. As the name suggests (Pachi=raw; pulusu=soup), there is very little cooking involved in this dish. It tastes awesome with vuthi pappu (plain dal).

Ingredients:
Tamarind paste - 2 tbsp
Onion - 1 medium, chopped fine
Green chilies - 4, chopped fine
Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste

For tempering:
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Curry leaves - 6

Method:
  • Dry roast sesame seeds and grind into powder.
  • Add water to tamarind paste and bring to a consistency of your liking. Add chopped onions, green chilies, sugar, salt and sesame seeds powder. Mix well (you might want to use your hand to get uniform consistency).
  • Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, add the seeds and curry leaves. Add this to the pulusu and serve with rice and dal.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, we prepare the same thing but with roasted peanuts.
    I'll try this one with sesame, your style. Just one tablespoon of sesame is enough, Pavani?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pavani, reading this with my mum, the first thing she said was 'She must be from Rayalseema'. Don't know if you are but my mum makes the exact same recipe with some jaggery (bellam) and I love it with 'Pulagam' (shall blog about it!)
    Praveena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking recipe,sounds easy and delicious! I will try,Pavani!Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Indira,
    I saw your peanut pachi pulusu and thought the same. Regarding 1 tbsp sesame seeds, I usually keep powdered on hand and I should have written 1 tbsp powdered sesame seeds. You can definitely use more. Do try it and let me know.

    Hi Praveena,
    I'm from Andhra and my husband is from Hyderabad. This is actually my mother-in-law's dish and I'm not sure of the origin. You made me curious about it and I'll try to find out from her. Would really love to see your version of pulagam..

    Thank you Asha. Do try and let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey nice recipe....thanx a lot.... want to surprise my mom cooking this :D..lets see

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips