Cook's Hideout: Guinness Cake

October 18, 2006

Guinness Cake

Are you wondering why I have a picture of a beer bottle under Chocolate cake? I used it to make my cake. I was surprised when I saw the recipe (in Vegetarian times) too, but I wanted to try it out and what better occasion than my husband’s birthday. He loves moist chocolate cakes and he wanted me to make a cake with only chocolate and nothing else (no nuts or preserves or frosting). This recipe has ingredients like sour cream and beer that are not generally used to make a cake, but it still fit my husband’s liking with no extra stuff in it.
Very easy to put together, most of the ingredients were in my pantry, except of course the Beer. You need “Stout” like Guinness brand beer.

Ingredients:
Stout – 2/3 cup
Butter – 10 tbsp (1 stick plus 2 tbsp)
All purpose flour – 1 1/3 cups
Sugar – 1 1/3 cups
Cocoa powder (unsweetened) – ½ cup
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Eggs – 1 large plus 1 large yolk
Sour cream – 2/3 cup

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter an 8” round pan and line with wax paper or parchment paper.
  • In a heavy bottom saucepan, bring the beer and butter to a simmer on medium flame. Add cocoa and whisk well to incorporate. Remove from heat and cool slightly (about 10 minutes).
  • In the mean time, sift flour, baking soda, salt and sugar in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
  • In another bowl, beat the egg, yolk and sour cream with electric mixer until well blended. Add the beer + butter mixture to the eggs and beat till incorporated.
  • Add the flour mixture; beat on lowest speed for 30 seconds. Use a rubber spatula and fold the flour till well incorporated.
  • Pour the batter into prepared pan, bake for 50-55 minutes or till the toothpick comes out clean.
  • Cool on wire rack. Cut and serve with ice cream or whipped cream, or just sprinkled with confectioner’s sugar. Enjoy.
I have to tell you, cake does have a slight beery smell to it, but it is so moist that you just want to have one more piece. Yummy..

7 comments:

  1. The cake looks so moist, I feel like grabbing it from your plate, Pavani! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an unusual recipe for a cake! It looks moist and light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. High spirit Diwali!! YAY!! Cake looks great, beer is a great idea, Pavani! Did you see my Caruso!!
    Happy Diwali!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pavani,
    Interesting cake. Beer, chocolate and a wife that makes a cake of it! What more can a husband want?! :)
    Praveena.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Are you kidding me? This looks great. Wishing you a happy diwali.Hope you have a grand time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, thank you!!! I lost my copy of the vegetarian times this recipe came from and thought I'd never find the recipe in time to make this cake for my boyfriends birthday. I have made this cake many times and it has always been a HUGE hit with all different sorts of people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julie, I'm so glad that you found the recipe just in time for your boy friend's birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips