Cook's Hideout: Vegan Sweet Potato Naan

November 03, 2010

Vegan Sweet Potato Naan

VEGAN MOFO: Day 3
This dish is a combination of two of my favorite desi bread recipes: Sweet potato roti & whole wheat naan. I used soy milk instead of yogurt to make the naans nice and soft. Sweet potato gives the naans a nice orange color and boosts the nutrition too.

Ingredients:
Atta (whole wheat flour) – 3 cups
All purpose flour – ½ cup (optional)
Sweet potato – 1 medium, chopped
Soy milk – ½ cup
Yeast – 1¾tsp (= 7oz. sachet)
Salt – ½ tsp Sugar – 1tsp
Vegan Butter (for brushing) – 2tbsp, melted (optional)

Method:
  • Boil, steam or microwave sweet potato until cooked through. Mash into smooth paste adding the soy milk.
  • In a large bowl, add all the ingredients and knead into soft dough using warm water as needed. Cover with plastic wrap and rest for at least 2 hours. Dough almost doubles in size.
  • After 2 hours, knead the dough lightly and make large lemon size balls.
  • Preheat a griddle/ skillet. Take one ball at a time and roll into either an oval or circle shaped discs. Sprinkle water on one side of the disc and place it wet side down on the hot griddle. Cook until bubbles form on the other side of the naan. Flip and cook on the other side until blisters are formed.
  • Brush the butter on both sides (generously) before serving.
Serve hot with a gravy curry of your choice.


I made Saag-Aloo-Paneer & Paneer in Creamy Cashew sauce. Thanks for the recipes: Sandeepa & Trupti. These curries & the naans made my dinner spread look totally 5-star restaurant style.
Signature

16 comments:

  1. Oh how awesome is this! The colour of that bread is amazing and I just checked out the links for Saag-Aloo-Paneer & Paneer in Creamy Cashew sauce and I'm so glad I did!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love sweet potatoes in rotis, delicious looking paratha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot begin to describe how amazing this looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The naan looks amazing and sweet potato to boot! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to try this! Naan and sweet potatoes are two of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Potatoes & Naan are two of MY favorite things, too! Thanks so much for this recipe. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The naan should be bursting of flavor!
    Happy Diwali to you and your family Pavani!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks sooo tempting Pavani!!
    Wishing you and your family a very happy Diwali :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Diwali to you and family. Have fun today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your naan looks so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, impressive. And I love orange food!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for this! looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very happy Diwali to you, Pavani. Your pictures wouldn't download on my computer, for some reason, but the sweet potato naan sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made these tonight - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just finished mashing a purple sweet potato, I loved how easy this recipe was and wanted something fun to use up my tasty baked ube. I can't wait to see how these turn out. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips