Cook's Hideout: Karachi Dosa (Savory Indian Crepes)

November 24, 2010

Karachi Dosa (Savory Indian Crepes)


Vegan Mofo Day 24:

Hope all of you (in this part of the world) are gearing up for Thanksgiving. It's going to be just the three of us this year and I'm planning to make a All-Vegan feast tomorrow. I'm still working on the menu (or rather checking the pantry to see what I can make). Will keep you guys posted in tomorrow post.
I made these dosas (crepes??) for dinner tonight. Recipe is from a Telugu newspaper, Eenadu and they called them Karachi dosas, I'm not sure why and how Karachi got involved with this dosa, but it doesn't matter, the resulting dosas were quite yummy.

Ingredients:
Sooji (Semolina) - 1 cup
Maida (All purpose Flour) - 1 cup
Rice flour - 1 cup
Onion - 1 small, finely chopped
Green chilies - 3, finely chopped
Ginger - 1tsp, grated
Mustard seeds - 1½ tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Fresh Coriander - 2tsp, finely chopped
Yogurt - 2tbsp (I used soy yogurt)
Salt - to taste


Method:
  • Whisk semolina, AP flour & rice flour in a medium bowl. Add water and whisk into a smooth batter with no lumps. I ended up adding about 3 cups of water.
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a small sauce pan and add mustard and cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the oil to the batter.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Cover and rest for at least 1 hour.
  • Heat a non-stick or cast-iron griddle on medium-high flame and once ready, pour the batter one ladle at a time to make a round dosa/ crepe. Here's a pictorial on how to make rawa dosas. Thanks Sailu.
  • Once done, serve hot with your favorite chutney. I served with Sreelu's no-cook, no chop Chutney & green pepper Sambar.
Signature

2 comments:

  1. Pavani, were you able to view my pics? or is there a problem with your blog too?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips