We are visiting Thailand for this month's Food of the World event. Thai cuisine is one of my favorite and I have tried and posted quite a few Thai dishes on the blog. I looked through my 'Buddha's Table' cookbook and found this Curried Noodles recipe.
Thai Curried Noodles
- 5~8 Large Dried Red Chilies like California, New Mexico or guajillo chilies)
- 2 Medium Shallots, finely minced
- 2tbsp Lemongrass, minced (from the midsection of 2 lemongrass stalks)
- 2tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1tbsp Galangal, minced
- 1tbsp Cilantro roots or stems, chopped
- 1tsp Turmeric
- 1tsp Salt
- 1 pound Dried Kanom Jeen noodles or Japanese Somen noodles
- 3tbsp Oil
- 2cups Firm Tofu, diced
- 2cups Mushrooms of choice, sliced
- 4cups Water or Vegetable Stock
- 2cups Chopped Cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2tbsp Light Soy sauce or more to taste
- 2tbsp Fermented yellow bean sauce (I added some soy sauce and 2tsp coconut palm sugar instead)
- To taste Salt
- 4 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced (as accompaniment)
- 6 Small dried chilies (as accompaniment)
- 2cups Bean Sprouts (as accompaniment)
- 1 Lime, cut into 6 wedges (as accompaniment)
- 3 Green Onions, cut into 1" long strips (as accompaniment)
- 6 Cilantro Sprigs (as accompaniment)
- Make the Spice paste: Stem and seed the chilies. Soak them in warm water for 10~15 minutes or until soft. Drain and squeeze dry.
- In a small food processor combine the chilies, minced shallots, garlic, lemongrass, galangal, cilantro roots/ stems, turmeric and salt. Grind to a smooth paste adding little bit of water. Spice paste can also be made using mortar and pestle.
- Cook Noodles: Bring a large pot of water to boil, cook noodles for 3~5 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, drain again. Portion the noodles into 3 oz small wads, about the size of a small bird's nest and set aside.
- Prep Accompaniments: Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and fry for 3~5 minutes or until light brown and crispy. Remove from the oil onto a paper towel lined plate. In the same oil, fry the red chilies until crispy, about 2~3 minutes. Remove onto a paper towel.
- Arrange all the other accompaniments in small serving bowls or on a large serving platter.
- Make the Curry: In the same oil, stir in the spice paste and cook for 3~5 minutes or until fragrant. Add the tofu and mushrooms and stir well to coat with the spice paste.
- Add the vegetable stock or water, tomatoes, light soy sauce, yellow bean sauce (or more soy sauce and coconut palm sugar), and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15~20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Ladle the curry sauce into a serving bowl and serve along with the accompaniments.
- To Serve: Place a couple wads of noodles in a serving bowl, top with a generous amount of curry sauce, sprinkle all the condiments on top of the noodles and finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.