Cook's Hideout: Mysore Rasam

January 19, 2016

Mysore Rasam

Blogging Marathon #60: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: Regional Specials
Dish: Mysore Rasam
For the last day of Blogging marathon, I made another comforting dish from Mysore. I actually made this couple of months ago from 'Dakshin' by Chandra Padmanabhan and I fell in love with all the flavors that went into this.
Tomato Saaru
I don't usually make spice powders at home. MTR brand is one of my favorites and I buy their rasam, sambar and garam masalas. But I had to make an exception for this recipe and it definitely made a big difference. Fresh homemade masalas give so much flavor to the dish, I have to make an effort to make more fresh masalas going forward. That masala recipe is coming up very soon.
Tomato Saaru
After looking at other Mysore Rasam recipes online, I'm not really sure if this is an authentic recipe because the other recipes did not have coconut milk added. But I think coconut milk adds a nice counterbalance to the tangy and spicy rasam. 
I have made this rasam many times and it has been liked by both kids and adults. It has become one of my favorite dish too.
Mysore Rasam
Ingredients:
  • ½cup Toor dal
  • 1tbsp Tamarind paste
  • 2 Medium Tomatoes, chopped
  • 3tsp Mysore Rasam powder (recipe coming soon)
  • 2tbsp Jaggery, grated or powdered
  • ¼tsp Turmeric
  • 1tbsp Ghee
  • 1tsp Mustard seeds
  • 1tsp Cumin seeds
  • 1 Dry red chili, halved
  • ½tsp Asafoetida
  • 8~10 Curry leaves
  • ½cup Coconut Milk
Method:
  1. Pressure cook toor dal until very tender and set aside.
  2. Heat ghee in a saucepan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chili, asafoetida and curry leaves, once the seeds start to splutter, add the tomatoes, tamarind paste, Mysore rasam powder, jaggery, turmeric and salt.
  3. Simmer on low heat for 15~20 minutes till tomatoes are mushy.
  4. Add the cooked dal and simmer for another 5 minutes for the flavors to blend.
  5. Turn off the heat and stir in coconut milk and chopped cilantro. Serve with steamed rice.
Tomato Saaru

 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 60.
Signature

9 comments:

  1. great job on the mysore series, Pavani ! u definitely nailed all of them :) this rasam is soooo reminding me of mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rasam is a must dishin our home specially in winter. I really liked this version of rasam though the addition of coconut is very new to me. Got to try this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As your clicks ,your recipes are wonderful .

    ReplyDelete
  4. The coconut milk definitely adds a layer of flavor to this rasam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mysore rasam looks very comforting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wat a comforting food, who can resist to this flavourful rasam..delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very popular rasam at my mom's place. Love the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the home made masala powders give a great flavour to the dish. Love the rasam and your snaps too..

    ReplyDelete
  9. with homemade masala, this rasam must have tasted awesome

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips