Cook's Hideout: Salad with Black beans & Corn and Citrus Blasamic Vinaigrette

March 04, 2014

Salad with Black beans & Corn and Citrus Blasamic Vinaigrette

Blogging Marathon# 38: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Soup or Salad with Sides 
Dish: Salad with Black beans & Corn with Cheese Quesadilla
For Day 2 of BM# 38, I have a simple salad served with cheese quesadilla. This salad is inspired from a dish that is on Chili's menu -- Quesadilla explosion Salad. We were at Chili's couple of weeks ago and saw it on the menu, though I didn't order it. Not sure if I already told you, I don't order salads when we go out. I feel like I have to eat actual food and not salads at restaurants. In my mind, I think I can make salads at home and don't want to spend money on a salad at a sit down restaurant.
Salad with Black beans & Corn and Citrus Blasamic Vinaigrette
Well anyway, coming back to the Quesadilla explosion salad; I googled for the recipe and found that it is one of the unhealthiest salads served at a restaurant. It has a full day worth of salt and ¾of the day's worth calories. It made me feel even better because you would think ordering salad is a good thing -- but apparently it's not such a good thing afterall.

Salad with Black beans & Corn and Citrus Blasamic Vinaigrette
So when I decided to make the salad at home, I wanted to make it healthier than the original version. One of the perks of cooking at home is that you can control the salt and the quality of ingredients. This salad is quite colorful with the addition of various veggies and beans. It is quite tasty too with all the delicious veggies dressed with the citrus vinaigrette.
Salad with Black beans & Corn and Citrus Blasamic Vinaigrette
Chilis serves the salad topped with grilled chicken. I had some Gardein vegan chick'n in the freezer that I used in the salad. You can skip it or replace it with other vegetarian protein.
Ingredients: Serves 2~3
For the Salad:
Greens - 4~5 cups (I used baby spinach & chopped lettuce)
Black Beans - 1cup (if using canned, make sure to rinse and drain them)
Corn - 1cup (fresh or frozen)
Tomato - 2 mediu, deseeded and diced
Cheese - as needed (optional)
Chick'n - (optional)

For Citrus Blasamic Vinaigrette: Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit
Shallot - 1 small, finely chopped
Olive Oil - ½cup
White Wine Vinegar - 2tbsp
Lemon juice - 2tbsp
Orange Juice - 1tbsp
Lemon zest - ¼tsp
Salt & Pepper - to taste

Method
  • Make the Citrus-Balsamic Vinaigrette: Combine all the ingredients in a small jar and shake it very well to combine all the ingredients. Store it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
  • If using vegan chick'n, then cook according to package directions and keep ready.
  • For the Salad: Layer all the ingredients for the salad in a bowl, add the vinaigrette and serve immediately.
Salad with Black beans & Corn and Citrus Blasamic Vinaigrette
 I served the salad with simple cheese quesadilla.
Cheese Quesadilla
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 38.
Signature

16 comments:

  1. Healthy and nutritious salad. Tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious and lve the quesdillas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm Never tried the mock chicken! But the salad sure looks tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors in that bowl and so tempting is that cheese quesdillas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, wat a colourful and nutritious salad, loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delectable salad!! Awesome presentation Pavani..

    ReplyDelete
  7. healthy & delicious bowl...Pics look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i would love a share of the lovely spread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting salad ! Looks yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am bookmarking this! I so agree with salads being so unhealthy at certain restaurants...This one looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    It's really big name "Salad with Black beans & Corn with Cheese Quesadilla" but just opposite the name it's easy to make that dish and healthier and testy too.

    ................................................

    Finger food catering Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dish is looking really delicious! I love cooking and that’s have decided to plan a pre-wedding party at one of Chicago wedding venues for my sister. Will try this dish in that party for sure. Thanks for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips