Cook's Hideout: Mor Rasam (Buttermilk Rasam)

March 08, 2014

Mor Rasam (Buttermilk Rasam)

This is one recipe that I have been wanting to make for quite some time now. When my yogurt-phobic husband is around, I usually stay away from yogurt based recipes. But when he's traveling, I go all out making my favorite foods.
 Mor Rasam (Buttermilk Rasam)
On one such occasion when my husband was away, I made this mor rasam. Adding dal to with buttermilk to make rasam is new to me.It turned out delicious -- goes perfect with some steamed rice. Recipe is from Chandra Padmanabhan's Dakshin.
Mor Rasam (Buttermilk Rasam)
Ingredients:
Toor dal - ¼cup
Sour buttermilk - 1cup, whisked
Tomato - 1 medium, quartered
Salt - to taste

For the Spice paste:
Dry red chilies - 4
Coriander seeds - 1tsp
Toor dal - 1tsp
Fenugreek seeds (Methi seeds) - ¼tsp
Black Peppercorns - ¼tsp
Hing/ Asafoetida - ½tsp 

For Tempering:
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chili -1, broken
Curry leaves - 8~10
Method:
  • Make the Spice Paste: Heat  2tsp ghee in a pan; add all the ingredients for the spice paste and fry till they smell fragrant. Make sure not to burn them. Cool and grind to a fine paste adding very little water.
  • Pressure cook the dal.
  • To the cooked dal, add 1cup water, tomato, salt and simmer till the tomatoes are tender.
  • Add the ground spice paste and simmer for 2 minutes.
  • Heat 2tsp ghee in a small pan; add all the ingredients for tempering. When the seeds start to splutter, add it to the rasam. Turn off the heat.
  •  Pour in the sour buttermilk. Mix well. Serve hot with rice.
Mor Rasam (Buttermilk Rasam)


Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: March -- Week 2'.










Also linking to Fabulous Feast Friday# 5, being hosted by Mir & Sandhya.
Signature

8 comments:

  1. Buttermilk rasam sounds interesting and it new even to me. It is colorful and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do mor rasam too but mine is different from urs, fingerlicking rasam definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so interesting Pavani, I have never tried making with buttermilk..:)..and yes we are all for making our own favorite ones when the hubby is not around..if only we can make them eat what we like..hahah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice and tangy rasam,we do make this rasam but slightly different..will try your version soon..The rasam got a very nice color..

    ReplyDelete
  5. very interesting mor rasam :) looks very inviting dear, love the color :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curd is highly sensible to heat, tends to curdle every moment, but here I can see a very neat and delecious moor rasam. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a unique rasam...with the use of buttermilk!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips