Cook's Hideout: Instant Vada (using Urad dal flour)

March 28, 2014

Instant Vada (using Urad dal flour)

Ugadhi (Telugu New Year) is right around the corner (March 31, 2014) and I wanted to post some quick and easy dishes to make for the festival. If you are like me who forget to soak urad dal but still dream of making idlis/ dosas or vadas, then this post is right for you!! These vadas use urad dal flour instead of whole urad and they can be made in about 2~3hours which includes a brief resting period.
Instant Vada (using Urad dal flour)
Apart from the forgetfulness, another reason for making these vadas using urad flour is that most of the American blenders are not powerful enough to grind the lentils without adding copious amounts of water. Adding water is OK for most of the recipes, but for vadas the batter needs to be very thick and smooth with little or no water added during grinding. So that's where the flour comes in very handy.
Instant Vada (using Urad dal flour)
My mom made proper Chillu Gaarelu (vada with holes) using urad flour while she was here, but I couldn't take the pictures then. So I promptly noted how she made them in my notebook to try them myself  later. When I tried making them, I think I added a little too much water and so couldn't make traditional looking vadas/ gaarelu with the hole in the middle. I will definitely make these again and make the traditional ones and will update the post with the pics. 
Instant Vada (using Urad dal flour)
Ingredients: Serves 2~3
Urad dal flour - 1cup
Onion - 3tbsp, finely chopped**
Curry leaves - 6~8, finely chopped
Baking Soda - 1 pinch
Green chilies - 1~2, optional
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, onion, curry leaves, green chilies (if using) and salt. Add about ½~¾ cup of water to make a very thick paste like batter. Add water very slowly, so that you won't end up with watery batter.
  • Cover the bowl and set aside for 2~3 hours.
  • Just before making the vadas, add the baking soda and mix well.
  • Heat oil for deep frying. Take lemon size ball of the batter and place it on a damp plastic ziploc bag or your palm. Flatten it slightly and poke a hole right in the middle (as in a donut or bagel). Gently slide the vada into the hot oil and fry on medium flame until golden. Flip carefully and fry on the second size until golden. Fry 3~4 vadas at a time depending on the size of your pan. Repeat with rest of the batter.
  • Remove using a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate and serve hot with chutney.
Instant Vada (using Urad dal flour)
** I added onion since I made them for our evening snack, but if you are making them for the festival, then skip the onion all together or add shredded cabbage instead. 



Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: March -- Week 5'.









And also to Fabulous Feat Friday# 8 being hosted by Saras & Priya Srinivasan.


Signature

8 comments:

  1. Oh tempting vadas pavani! Never tried them with urad dal flour! I m too lazy to make the hole wala vada, so I always. make 4 vadas for the neivedhiyam that way n the rest as bonda's makes job easy;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very easy and looks crispy vada... I will have anytime.. :) Well made and thanks for sharing Pavani...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting instant vadas, really interesting.. Happy Ugadi wishes Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really some instant variety!..great to make when one forgets to get the dal soaking..very nice Pavani...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good- need to give it a try using urad flour, Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got some urad dal flour in my cabinet. These are bookmarked for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is all i need on rainy days. Looks so yummy and tempting..:) happy to follow u:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Came across your blog when I was looking for recipes with urad flour. Such a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips