Cook's Hideout: Potato-Jackfruit seed Kurma

March 14, 2014

Potato-Jackfruit seed Kurma

One of the few dishes that I didn't like growing up was 'kurma'. I don't know why, but the combination of yogurt and coconut was not too appealing for me. Being a good kid (ahem..) I would eat it without protesting, but I was never happy eating it. That is a big reason why I don't make kurmas that often in my kitchen.
But nowadays kurmas are being made without yogurt and when I saw this recipe with yogurt on a Telugu cooking show, I knew I would like this version. 
Potato-Jackfruit seed Kurma
Recipe uses jackfruit seeds along with potato. I've never used jackfruit seeds before and when I saw the frozen ones in the Indian store, I was super excited to try them. They didn't taste much of anything raw, but absorb the flavors of the curry and were quite tasty in the curry. Infact my diners didn't even make out that there was a new ingredient in the dish. I served the kurma with this Udupi Vegetable Pulao and it was a delicious combination.
Potato-Jackfruit seed Kurma
Ingredients:
Potato - 2 medium
Jackfruit Seeds - 1cup, thawed if frozen
Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
Tomatoes - 2 medium, finely chopped
Ginger + garlic paste - 1tsp
Fresh Coconut - ½cup, very finely ground (I used 1cup cocont milk instead)
Turmeric - ¼tsp
Ground Coriander - 1tsp
Red Chili powder - 1tsp (adjust as per taste)
Garam Masala - ½tsp
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Boil potatoes and chop them into big pieces.
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in a saute pan; add onions and cook until translucent and lightly browned around the edges.
  • Next add the ginger-garlic paste and cook for 1 minute.
  • Add the tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy. Stir in the coconut (or coconut milk), ground coriander, turmeric, red chili powder and salt. Cool till the gravy thickens. Add some water if it gets too thick.
  • Finally add garam masala and cook for 1 more minute before turning off the flame.
  • Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with any rice or roti.
Potato-Jackfruit seed Kurma



Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: March -- Week 3'.











Sending this to Fabulous Feast Friday# 6, being hosted by Valli & Prachi.
Signature

8 comments:

  1. Kurma looks really yummy. This is a new combination for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one delicious subzi pavani, I love jackfruit seeds and use it in different ways in my kitchen..and this kurma is one of the best..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many times I have saved this jackfruit seeds and never knew what to do now I have idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very delicious kurma, love the addition jackfruit seeds here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, love the jackfruit seeds since my childhood. Am very glad you made this kurma, looks godly to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never cooked with jack fruit or its seeds. But I have eaten roasted jack fruit seeds when I was younger. It was good. In fact I liked the roasted jack fruit seeds better than the jack fruit.

    Curry looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will have to look for those seeds to try this

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips