Cook's Hideout: Chili Parotta/ Kothu Parotta

January 26, 2014

Chili Parotta/ Kothu Parotta

Blogging Marathon# 36: Week 4/ Day 3
Theme: Online Bookmarked Recipes
Dish: Chili Parotta
The first time I tasted Chili Parotta was about 4~5 years ago in Saravana bhavan in Edison, NJ. Both my husband and I didn't really like it. It was way too greasy and heavy on the stomach. So that ended my chili parotta eating experience on a bad note.
Recently I saw this recipe on Sandhya's blog and it looked so much tastier than what I remember chilli parotta to be. I bookmarked it right away.
Chili Parotta/ Kothu Parotta
My husband bought a packet of frozen 'Kawan Paratha' instead of regular wholewheat rotis that I usually buy. So I knew I had to make the chilli parotta with them and was waiting for an occasion to make it. Which came the other day when we needed a quick dinner after whole day of shopping. If you time, then you can also make your own Kerala Parottas.

Chili Parotta/ Kothu Parotta
This is such a tasty dish to make. It is easy to put together and I think the highlight is the ground onion-tomato masala that is added which makes the dish moist and yummy. Do give it a try to find out.
Chili Parotta/ Kothu Parotta
Ingredients: Serves 2
Parottas - 4 (fresh or frozen)
Onion - 1 medium, thinly sliced
Peppers - 2 medium, thinly sliced
Tomato Sauce - 1tbsp (I used tomato ketchup)
Cilantro leaves - 2tbsp, finely chopped
Salt - to taste

For the Masala:
Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Tomato - 2 medium, chopped
Ginger + Garlic paste - 1tsp
Poppy seeds - 1tsp
Cashews - 1tbsp
Red Chili powder - 1tsp
Ground coriander - 1tsp
Garam Masala - ½tsp

Method:

  • Make the Masala paste: Heat 2tsp oil in a saute pan; add onions and cook until they start turning brown around the edges, about 4~5 minutes.
  • Add ginger+garlic paste and cook for 1 minute.
  • Next add all the other ingredients and cook until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy. Let this mixture cool a little, then grind to a smooth paste.
  • Prep the Parottas: If using frozen parottas, then thaw them by microwaving them until soft. Then chop them into small pieces. Heat 2tbsp oil in a saute pan and cook the chopped parottas until nicely browned all over. Remove onto a plate.
  • To make Chilli Parotta: In the same pan, heat 2tbsp oil, add onions and peppers and cook on medium flame until crisp tender, takes about 6~7 minutes.
  • Add tomato sauce and the ground masala. Mix well and season with salt.
  • Now add the chopped parottas and mix well so that the parottas are coated with the masala. Cook for 2 minutes to heat through, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve hot with onion raita.
Chili Parotta/ Kothu Parotta
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 36.
Signature

6 comments:

  1. wow mouthwatering spicy kothu parotta :) looks so so tempting !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome Pavani! Thanks for trying out the recipe :) I have your Kerala Parotta recipe bookmarked and want to try it soon....But once all that work goes into it, I might not tear it up to make the kothu parotta....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting version...lovely presentation Pavani..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy parotta.. I once tasted this at a restaurant & instantly loved it,though never got a chance to make it.. Bookmarking it..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips