Cook's Hideout: Baked Chickpeas

January 10, 2014

Baked Chickpeas

Blogging Marathon# 36: Week 2/ Day 1
Theme: Travel Food
Dish: Snack - Baked Chickpeas
My theme for the second week of Blogging Marathon# 36 is 'Travel Food' or food that is typically mess free and is easier to take on a trip. To add a little interest to the theme, Valli asked us to make a Snack, Main course and a dessert. So that is what you are going to see for the next three days and I'm going to start with a easy, peasy snack today.
Baked Chickpeas
Growing up, we used to travel quite a bit. My dad was a central government employee and he used to get travel allowance every 4 years and being an enthusisatic traveller he made sure that we visited different places every time. He used to elaborately plan these trips and made sure even the minute details were taken care of. He had accomodation everywhere we went and it was so much fun riding the local tourist buses and visiting the touristy locations.

My mom made sure that we had enough snacks to eat between meals. As kids my sister and I had way too many requests and my mom made sure she had something for the both of us. I remember her making snacks like janthikalu, murukkus, mixture and, namkeen.
Baked Chickpeas
Now with my own family, since the kids are still young, we don't usually make long trips by car or train. Most of the long distance travel is by flight and I don't make anything when we are flying. But when we are on the road, today's snack is perfect. It's crunchy, addictive and most of all guiltfree. See even my 16month old loved snacking on them :-)
Baked Chickpeas
The spices used in this dish are completely upto individual taste. I used Indian spices, chili powder, grounf cumin and kasoori methi. But any spice from any corner of the world can be used.
My little one enjoying Baked Chickpeas
Ingredients:
Chickpeas - 1 15.5oz can, rinsed and drained
Salt - to taste
Chili powder - ½tsp
Ground Cumin - ½tsp
Kasoori Methi (dry fenugreek leaves) - ½tsp

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper.
  • Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
  • Spread the chickpeas in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 50~60 minutes or until the chickpeas are crispy and crunchy.
Baked Chickpeas
Store in an airtight container for 4~5 days. 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 36.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. looks so tempting!! perfect for snacking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow such a lovely pic of your lil one..thanks for sharing..and nice snack...It's lovely to know another central govt family..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think this recipe would work with dry chickpeas that have been soaked overnight? The recipe is simple and the end result looks good.....would love to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very tempting snack to munch....

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow thats a guilt free snack to munch any time :) looks super crunchy !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Pavani, your daughter has become that big to munch on chickpeas. :) Sure time flies.
    Lovely snack btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so inviting! I bookmarked this recipe to try later. I know my husband will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww your little one is so cute..Love the baked chickpeas and also the fact that this is guilt free :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww so cute ur little one is enjoying the snack I love it

    ReplyDelete
  10. great snack and Disha looks too cute munching on them. She has grown so much since we met her last year...too cute

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a guilt free snack feel like munching some..lil one is looking so cute Pavani..

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pumpkin and the chickpea snack both looks like I could eat them right now :) I want to try to make it tomorrow...Will let you know .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips