Cook's Hideout: Cranberry Pulihora

January 24, 2014

Cranberry Pulihora

Blogging Marathon# 36: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Online Bookmarked Recipes
Dish: Cranberry Pulihora
For the final week of blogging marathon, I chose to do 'Online Bookmarked Recipes'. I thought this will be a great way to try and make some of the dishes from my ever-growing bookmarked recipes. It was quite a task to decide on the 3 dishes for this week. Finally based on the ingredients in the fridge and pantry I made 3 delicious dishes.
First up is this colorful Cranberry Pulihora that I bookmarked from Usha's blog. Using cranberries to give the required tartness/ sourness to pulihora sounded absolutely delicious and I wanted to try it right away.
Cranberry Pulihora
Usha boiled the cranberries to make a gojju/ paste, but mentioned that they can be sauteed as well. Being the lazy bum that I am, I took the easy way and cooked the cranberries along with the other tempering and the cranberries cooked to perfection in just about 5~7 minutes. So this is a dish that can be made in less than 30 minutes and does not need any prior preparations.

This pulihora is definitely a keeper and I'm sure I'll be making it many more times during the cranberry season. I added a little lemon juice to jazz up the flavor, but this is purely optional and up to your taste.
Cranberry Pulihora
Ingredients:
Rice - 1 cup
Cranberries - 1cup, halved
Peanuts - 2tbsp
Chana Dal - 2tsp
Urad dal - 2tsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Dry Red chilies - 2~3, broken
Asafoetida/ Hing - ¼tsp
Ginger - 1" piece
Green chilies - 3, slit
Curry Leaves - 8~10
Ground Fenugreek (Menthi pindi) - ¼tsp
Turmeric - ¼tsp
Salt - to taste

Method:

  • Cook rice, make sure that the grains are separate and not mushy. Remove the rice into a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in a saute pan; add chana dal, urad dal and peanuts. Once the dals start to turn golden, add mustard seeds and once the seeds start to splutter, add dry red chili and asafoetida.
  • Next add green chilies, ginger and curry leaves. Fry for 1 minute.
  • Next add the chopped cranberries, turmeric and ground fenugreek. Cook covered until cranberries are cooked and turn almost mushy.
  • Add the cranberry mixture and salt to the cooled rice. Gently mix to combine, make sure not to break the rice.
Cranberry Pulihora
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 36.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. Omg god can imagine how yummy it would taste :) such yummy puliohara with cranberry , fabulous recipe !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that is so interesting!!! should try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful bowl of rice pavani, I loved the idea when Usha had made it..you are now tempting us..very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember her post as well! I am tempted to try this..

    ReplyDelete
  5. cranberry pulihora looks colorful and tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. super replacement to tamarind.yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so pretty. Love that bowl. Beautiful pictures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow pulihora with cranberries! sure sounds interesting. The recipe sounds so tasteful..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely color and must have tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cranberry pulihora sounds so inviting and delicious,looks colorful..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember seeing it at Usha's blog and thinking how unique it was - yours looks just as good

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colors of the pulihora! It looks more inviting without the turmeric in it.. :) Thanks for trying the recipe, Pavani.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips