Cook's Hideout: Carrot Kheer

December 05, 2012

Carrot Kheer

As I was thinking of dishes to make with carrots, I realized that carrots are probably one of the very few vegetables that I eat in a dessert. I've seen a number of other vegetables being made into desserts like halwas with bottle gourd, green peas, etc, but I've never made them myself. May I should give them a try in the near future.

I've mentioned before that I consider myself a lazy cook. I tend to make dishes that don't take too much time and don't involve too much preparation or cooking time. I like carrot/ gajar halwa, but grating carrots is not something that I really enjoy, so I use the food processor to grate them. Growing up, my sister was the designated carrot grater for making carrot halwa.

For today's carrot kheer, my mom grated the carrot for me (I guess my laziness is here to stay with me). I added some semolina/ sooji to give the kheer some body and thickness.
Ingredients:
Carrots - 1 cup, grated
Semolina/ Sooji (fine) - 2tbsp
Sugar - ¼cup
Ground Cardamom (elaichi) - 1tsp
Milk - 1cup (I used 1% milk)
Evaporated milk - 1½cup
Cashews/ Almonds - 3tbsp
Raisins - 1tbsp

Method:
  • Heat 1tbsp ghee in a medium saute pan; fry cashews/ almonds and raisins until golden. Remove and keep aside.
  • Add another 1tbsp ghee to the same pan and add carrots and sooji. Cook them stirring constantly until carrots are slightly cooked, about 4-5 minutes.
  • Next add the milk, cover and cook on low flame until carrots are cooked through.
  • Add sugar and cook the mixture until it starts to thicken a little bit.
  • Finally add the ground cardamom and fried cashews and raisins.
This can be served hot, cold or at room temperature. Simple and delicious.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up for BM# 23.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. Using a bit of semolina to thicken the carrot kheer is a great idea- I've used cashew powder before to do this. Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kheer looks fantastic! I like the slivered almonds on top.

    And Its comforting to have company of another lazy cook :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Tempting kheer.. with carrot, look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lipsmacking kheer...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish i get a bowl of this inviting kheer, my weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a very yummy dessert that no one can think its carrot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Droolworthy pics Pavani. I bet the kheer tasted wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow such lovely pictures Pavani..so beautifully decked up..:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yours looks one of the best I've seen - will def. be trying your version

    ReplyDelete
  10. drooling over the pics here, Pavani :)

    I have a version coming up too !

    ReplyDelete
  11. so inviting.. Love the texture
    http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips