Cook's Hideout: Carrot Patoli (Carrot Paruppu Usili)

December 04, 2012

Carrot Patoli (Carrot Paruppu Usili)

Today's Carrot dish for BM# 23 is a healthy curry that incorporates veggie and lentils, one of my favorite combination. Being a vegetarian, protein intake is something that I'm watchful about and when a dish incorporates a healthy veggie and a protein, I'm super happy.

Paruppu usili or Patoli (in telugu) is a dry-ish curry that can be made with different vegetable like green beans, cabbage, cluster beans etc. When I saw PJ post her carrot paruppu usili, it looked awesome and I decided to try it today. My mom made this dish and here's how she made it:

Ingredients:
Carrots - 4, medium chopped
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chili - 2
Asafoetida - pinch
Curry leaves - 8
Salt - to taste

Lentil Masala paste:
Chana dal - ½cup
Green chilies - 4
Cumin seeds - 2tsp
Coriander seeds - 2tbsp
Ginger - 1" piece
Coconut - 2tbsp, either fresh or dry

Method:
  • Soak chana dal for 1 hour. Grind along with all the other ingredients listed under lentil masala paste into a coarse mixture adding very little water.
  • Microwave or boil chopped carrot until cooked thoroughly. Keep aside.
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in a saute pan, add cumin and mustard seeds, once the seeds start to splutter add dry red chili, curry leaves and asafoetida.
  • Next add the ground paste and cook until the mixture dries up. Constant stirring is required at this stage.
  • Finally add the cooked carrot and salt. Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
  • Serve hot with steamed rice and dal.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 23.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. I make this offen at home. Just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting and healthy recipe, lovely click

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum yum!!! so delicious and so colorful!!! we generally make paruppu usli with beans,,, carrot is a nice idea!!
    Sowmya

    Ongoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat Flour
    Ongoing Event - Let's Party - Eggless Bakes and Treats

    ReplyDelete
  4. Droolworthy patoli, love this paurppu usili with some hot sambhar bath. Loving that bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healthy and Yummy , loving it.........

    http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must say the entire colour combination rocks!..very healthy dish

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always make usili with cluster beans or beans, now I will try making with carrot too :). Nice clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks lovely. Patoli is one dish I make regularly at my home. I detest the frying part of the paste though. I simply steam it and add it to the curry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good... :) Parupusili is my facorite.. We generally make this only with beans.. Should give this a try...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips