Cook's Hideout: Tomato & Cheese Tart

September 09, 2009

Tomato & Cheese Tart

Why does summer go so fast and winter seems to linger foreveeeeer??? But I’m not complaining, I like fall (and even spring), get to see the gorgeous changing colors. I hope we can take some time and visit some scenic place with beautiful fall colors. Are you reading this Mr. H??
Anyway coming to the recipe, I watched Ina Garten make it on FoodTv in the afternoon and I made it for our evening snack that same day. This is probably the first time ever that I made a recipe so quick after watching the show. The only change I made was the type of cheeses used, Ina used parmesan & feta; I used asiago & mozzarella. For the original recipe, click here.



Recipe adapted from Ina Garten’s Back to Basics
Ingredients (makes 4 5” tarts):
Puff pastry sheet – 1, thawed according to pkg instructions
Onion – 1 large, thinly sliced
Garlic – 2-3 cloves
Thyme, fresh – 1 tsp
Tomato – 1 medium, cut into thick slices
Asiago cheese – ¼ cup, grated
Mozzarella cheese – 2 tbsp, grated
Salt & Pepper – to taste

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 425°F.
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a skillet; add onions and garlic and sauté on medium flame until lightly caramelized.
  • Add thyme, salt and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
  • In the meantime, open the puff pastry on lighly floured surface and roll it into 11”x11” square (approximately). Using a 5” round plate (I used a small steel plate) as your reference, cut the pastry into 4 circles with a sharp knife. Place the circles on a parchment covered baking sheet; then score a ¼” border around each pastry circle, this will create the slightly raised edge to the tart once baked.
  • Prick the pastry inside the scored line with a fork and sprinkle 1tbsp asiago cheese in the inner circle.
  • Place ¼ of the onion mixture in the center (inner circle), sprinkle mozzarella cheese and place a slice of tomato in the center of each tart. Sprinkle the tomato with salt and pepper. Finally using a peeler, make big shards of asiago cheese on top of the tomato.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Serve hot or warm.

Signature

19 comments:

  1. that's quick to make if you have pastry sheets in hand. Sadly we do not get them here. Will have to start from scratch. The pic looks so tempting, I might land up doing that also..
    I posted my 50th post, I invite you to read that. Hopefully u will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pavani,

    This looks so yum! Love the quick fix with puff pastry sheets. I will surely try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how flaky the tart is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow such a cheesy and droolworthy tart, looks simply superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....it's never ending winter there and never ending summer here...cheesy tart looks delectable....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely pavani, add some basil and its'll be my fav :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks, beautiful, delicous and very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so good, Pavani! Presented very beautifully too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very quick to make and looks absolutely mouthwatering and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks delicious! I like your combination of asiago and mozzarella.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that would be a quick and tasty tart! I love fall too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks wonderful. Drool worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely dish. There is something waiting for you in my blog. Plz collect it dear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watch Ina'a Barefoot too:D The tart looks absolutely heavenly, Pavani!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks colorful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips