Cook's Hideout: Moroccan Vegetable Tagine

September 27, 2009

Moroccan Vegetable Tagine

First some Wiki Gyan: “Tagines in Moroccan cuisine are slow-cooked stews braised at low temperatures, resulting in tender meat with aromatic vegetables and sauce. They are traditionally cooked in the tagine pot, whose cover has a knob-like handle at its top to facilitate removal. While simmering, the cover can be lifted off without the aid of a mitten, enabling the cook to inspect the main ingredients, add vegetables, move things around, or add additional braising liquid”.


I would love to buy one of those cute looking Tagines, but I’m not sure if I’m going to use it that often to be spending money on it. Well anyway I used by saucepot to make this delicious vegetable tagine that tasted awesome the next day after all the flavors had a chance to marry.
Recipe is adapted from vegetarian times. I changed it a little bit since I didn’t have some of the ingredients on hand. Also the recipe uses the oven to cook the vegetables, but I used the good ol’ stove as I was pressed for time. It took about 30-40 minutes to make this very filling and nutritious dish.


Recipe adapted from Vegetarian Times
Ingredients:
Onion - 1 small, chopped
Sweet potato - 1 medium, peeled and cubed
Carrot - 1 medium, peeled and chopped
Green Beans - 1 cup, chopped (I used frozen green beans)
Broccoli - chopped into florets, about 2 cups
Chickpeas - 1 16 oz. can, drained and rinsed
Tomato puree - 1 cup
Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
Ginger - 1" piece, minced
Vegetable Stock - 1 cup
Cinnamon stick - 1" piece
Ground cumin - 1tsp
Ground Coriander - 1tsp
Sweet paprika - 1tsp
Cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp
Salt & Pepper - to taste

Method:
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in a large sauce pot; add onions, garlic and ginger and cinnamon stick; cook until the onions start to soften, about 5 minutes.
  • Add ground cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper. Saute till the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
  • Add all the veggies, cover and cook till they are slightly tender, about 6-8 minutes.
  • Add tomatoes & stock, bring to a boil; lower the heat and simmer until the veggies are completely tender, but not mushy; about 8-10 minutes.
  • Just 5 minutes before the stew is done, add the chickpeas. Stir in chopped parsley before serving.

I served this hearty stew with whole wheat couscous for a complete wholesome dinner.
Only 5 more days left for A.W.E.D-Morocco, rush in your entries before the end of day Friday, Oct 2nd.
Signature

8 comments:

  1. love it. it looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I loved it.. absolutely fantastic..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that has to taste good! Chickpeas and veggies means bon appetit:). I like the warm tones in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous tajine looks fillinf and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in a spa in Marrakesh, morocco a few years ago. I was laying in a steamy marble massage room. There were two women massaging me and it was heavenly and relaxing. When they got to massaging my stomach area, they both in unision said "couscous! tagine!" (meaning, "look at all the couscous and tagine we found"!)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very comforting and delicious looking stew,Pavani!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delish..wat a bright picture !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips