Cook's Hideout: Moroccan Lentil Salad… errrr Soup

September 13, 2009

Moroccan Lentil Salad… errrr Soup

So I start out making a salad and it ends up becoming a soup, is that weird or did it ever happen to you too?? I borrowed this North African cookbook from the library and have bookmarked a few recipes to make for the A.W.E.D-Morocco event currently going on my blog.
I wanted to make this simple and easy sounding Lentil salad, I pressure cooked the lentils and must have put too much water while cooking that it became a soup but it tasted pretty good, so I decided to post it anyway. I used sprouted whole masoor dal, but any kind of lentils would be good in this recipe.
I'm giving recipe as is from the cookbook, I pressure cooked the lentils in about 3 cups of water and it was too watery. I'm not sure if the proportion given here is correct or not. I'm going to try soon and update the recipe.


Recipe adapted from Vegetarian Table: North Africa by Kitty Morse
Ingredients:
Lentils – 1 cup
Onion – 1 medium, chopped
Tomato – 2 medium, seeded and diced (I used canned diced fire roasted tomatoes)
Garlic – 2 cloves
Coriander leaves – ¼ cup, chopped
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Ground cloves – ¼ tsp
Ground cumin – 2tsp
Paprika – 1tsp
Cayenne – ¼ tsp

Method:
  • Rinse and clean the lentils.
  • Combine lentils, 5 cups of veggie stock or water, onion, tomatoes, turmeric, tomatoes, garlic and ground cloves in a pot. Bring the mixture to the boil; lower the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes until all the water is absorbed and lentils are completely cooked. Turn off the heat.
  • Add ground cumin, paprika, cayenne and salt and mix well. Serve hot or warm.
This is a very flavorful dish with all the different spices. I served the soup with some store-bought pocket-less pitas for us and some whole-wheat couscous for my son. It tasted even better for lunch the next day, very filling too.
Signature

15 comments:

  1. Wat a flavourful and healthy lentils salad, will post my entries soon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't matter if it ended up beeng a soup as it looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love black lentils..looks similar to dal..isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...looks extremely yum....comfort in a bowl...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha.. I do like a salad-turned soup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks yummy!Fresh Market next door actually sells the same and it is similar in looks too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things like this so often taste even better the next day, don't they?
    Peace, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salad turned into a warm comfort soup for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks yummy!! I love such salads!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious and an interesting recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is delicious and vibrant. What a lovely picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. delicious..............will try this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Salad err..soup:)Looks inviting:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi pavani...u got a lovely blog...this dish looks very healthy and nice click as well

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips