Cook's Hideout: Vegan Mashed Potato & Sunchokes

May 19, 2009

Vegan Mashed Potato & Sunchokes

After reading DK’s post (@ Culinary Bazaar) on Jerusalem artichokes aka sunchokes, I’ve been on the look out for them in my regular grocery store. So when I saw them in Whole foods, I grabbed a handful to try and made this vegan mashed potatoes and sunchokes. I bought a seasonal variety bag of purple, red and yellow baby potatoes and I used them in this dish.

Ingredients:
Sunchokes – 4 medium sized, well washed and scrubbed
Potatoes – 6 small, well washed and scrubbed (I used a couple each of purple, red & white)
Vegan cream cheese like Tofutti – 2tbsp
Soy milk – ¼ cup (or as required)
Vegan margarine like Earth balance – 1tsp

Method:

  • Place the potatoes & sunchokes in a medium sized saucepan, add water about 1” above the potatoes. Bring to a boil; turn the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are fork tender.
  • Drain the potatoes well and place them back in the same hot pot to evaporate any leftover water.
  • Mash with a potato masher; add soy milk as you mash for easy handling. Mix in the cream cheese and butter; season with salt and pepper.

Signature

4 comments:

  1. I am glad u were able to find them Pavani...arent they good? I can imagine the delicious blend of potatoes n sunchokes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a delicious dish! looks gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. where am i going to find these sunchokes???!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips