Cook's Hideout: Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Panini

August 28, 2006

Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Panini

Paninis are Italian grilled sandwiches and they are very versatile, you can make them with absolutely anything (great for cleaning up the fridge). Here is a Desi-style panini recipe.
This weekend I decided to clean out my fridge and use up all the produce that I had, so I can stock up again ;-) I found onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, whole wheat pita bread and a bar of pepper jack cheese. So what can you make all these?? A lot.. but ended up making paninis. Here's my recipe.

Ingredients (makes 1 sandwich):
Whole wheat pita bread - 2
Red onion - 1 medium, thinly sliced
Mushrooms - 5-6, thinly sliced
Tomato - 1 small, cut into thin circles
Pepper jack cheese - 2 slices
Mozzarella cheese - 3 tbsp grated (I used Kraft fat-free grated moz.)
Salt and Pepper - to taste

Method:
  • Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a pan, add onions and saute till golden and slightly caramelized, takes about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and keep aside.
  • In the same pan, add mushrooms and saute till done. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and keep aside.
  • Spray, the grill pan with non-stick cooking spray, toast the pita bread on one side. Add the jack cheese, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, moz. cheese and place the second pita on top.
  • Put some kind of weight (I used a foil covered brick.. bought it for a buck in Home depot) and grill for about 2 minutes each side.

Enjoy!!!

Guys.. just a friendly remainder for WBB# 4, deadline to send in your entries is August 31st. Email me at cookshideout@gmail.com. Check out the updates here and here.
Hope to see you all in the round up.

1 comment:

  1. I love Paninis. I think you can use Ciabatta bread slices too. I would love to buy Panini Press someday. It will be really crunchy, wouldn't it ?

    Thanks for the idea of using pita!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips