Cook's Hideout: Salsa Picante

October 09, 2015

Salsa Picante

This is one of the condiments that I wanted to post for the mega marathon-condiment week, but didn't know which country to put it under. So I'm posting it today for 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge'.
Salsa is a condiment made with tomatoes, onions, peppers and other ingredients. 'Picante' is a Spanish adjective meaning 'piquant', derived from the word 'picar' which means to sting, referring to the feeling caused on the tongue.
Spicy Tomato & Pepper Salsa
I usually make fresh salsas, the ones that are basically chopped and mixed together. This one is cooked till the veggies are tender and the sauce is thickened.

Spicy Tomato & Pepper Salsa
After tasting this salsa my tongue surely stung and when I said that to my husband, he said it is supposed to be 'picante'. I left the seeds in the jalapenos which is probably why the salsa turned out a little spicy to my taste. So if you want a milder tasting salsa, then remove the seeds from the jalapenos and use may be just 1 instead of 2.
I served it over some black bean and cheese tacos and I loved the spicy kick the salsa gave to the otherwise mild tasting taco. 
Spicy Tomato & Pepper Salsa
Ingredients:
Diced Tomatoes - ½cup (from a 15oz can of diced tomatoes)
Canned tomato sauce - ½cup 
Red Onion - 1 small, chopped
Green bell pepper - 1 small, diced
Jalapenos - 2, seeds removed and diced small
Garlic - 2 cloves, finely minced
White Vinegar - 1tbsp
Coarse Salt - to taste

Method:
  • In a medium saucepan, heat 1tbsp oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapenos and cook stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 4~5 minutes.
  • Next ass the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, vinegar ans season with salt. Bring to a rapid simmer.
  • Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens slightly and the vegetables are tneder, about 5 minutes.
  • Check the seasoning and adjust by adding more vinegar and/ or salt.
  • Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up 1 week.
Spicy Tomato & Pepper Salsa



Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook ChallengeOctober -- Week 2'.






Signature

6 comments:

  1. Very nice recipe! :) This is going to my Pinterest board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love picante sauce, but would have to leave those jalapeƱos out. Are there any other types of peppers or any other substitutions I could use instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, you can use mild chilis like banana peppers, Anaheim and/ or canned diced green chili peppers. Hope you get to try this recipe.

      Delete
  3. Gosh that salsa surely looks so sinful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips